A Conversation for The Unknown Warrior

Other unknown soldiers

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

The Unknown Soldier Monument, Alexandria, Egypt

...and not far fram Alexandria you'll find the war cemetery El Alamein - well worth a visit - should put anyone off war - and a visit really ought to be compulsary for all the leaders of the world!

Other unknown soldiers

Post 2

Stuart

I agree with that Titania. Another place with similar characteristics is Hiroshima. A visit to the Memorial Park and Museum there really brings home the horrific nature of war. I left the museum in a state of stunned silence.

Stuart

Other unknown soldiers

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

The thing about El Alamein was that there were so *many* graves - of different nationalities - and that the inscriptions on the grave stones were so personal - from those left behind, in many cases a young wife with young child/children...

...there were so *many* young people (mostly 20-25 years old) who died - and for what?

Other unknown soldiers

Post 4

Stuart

and for what?

There is the question that everyone asks and for which there are many answers.

My answer is that if Adolf Hitler had got his hands on the Middle Eastern oil fields, which is what the battle of Al Alamein was about, I do not think we would be here now talking about it with all the other freedoms we enjoy to-day.

For your tomorrow, they gave there to-day.

Stuart

Other unknown soldiers

Post 5

Eastwickian

Very true - although I am anti-war, there is no arguing against the bravery of the soldiers who fought for their country - whichever country that may have been. To go to any rememberance cemetery and see all the gravestones which have no names is truly humbling . . .

Eastwickian

Other unknown soldiers

Post 6

Stuart

..and ther is no group more anti-war than soldiers. The difference is that they recognise that when despots, meglomaniacs and various other misfits come along, war is often the only way to preserve what we have.

Stuart

Other unknown soldiers

Post 7

Barneys Bucksaws

If you enjoy your freedom, thank a Vet. That's what Rememberance Day is all about. If we EVER forget, we can let it happen again.

Other unknown soldiers

Post 8

Foxbat

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

Other unknown soldiers

Post 9

Barneys Bucksaws

Wow!

Other unknown soldiers

Post 10

Stuart

Wow indeed. Powerful stuff.

Stuart

Other unknown soldiers

Post 11

Watermusic

Hi,
The Portuguese Unknown Soldiers from the World Wars lie in the Chapter House of the Royal Dominican Convent of Batalha - near Leiria, north of Lisbon.

A2492093 just entered in PR

Watermusic

Other unknown soldiers

Post 12

Watermusic

Only one, from WWI.

Other unknown soldiers

Post 13

Mina

smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post