This is the Message Centre for Jeru2

Welcome!

Post 1

Darth Zaphod

Hey there!

Welcome to h2g2! I'm Darth Zaphod (a.k.a. Katie) and I will be your tour guide...er...sort ofsmiley - smiley I'm an ace here at this dandy little place, therefore it is my job to give you the low-down on what's up in the world of h2g2. To start you off, why dont you check out the h2g2 info page (A308170) to answer any questions you may have. (that A# thingy up there, that's a link to a site on h2g2....if you have to link anywhere in any of your postings, just type A and the number (or U if it's a person's page) and the link will pop up automatically! Also, check out the Smiley page (A155909) for a big long list of all the cool smileys you can add to your postings or guide entries. If you have any questions, you can ask me anytime, by replying to this message (the reply button down at the bottom here) or by visiting my site at U198110. Thanks for joining, and may the force be with you!

P.S. Check out the h2g2 post! It's full of awesome fictional stuff that doesn't quite fit into the acutal guide's criteria...I love it! (A810505)

Peace, Love, and Mashed Potatoes,
Darth Zaphodsmiley - planet

Welcome!

Post 2

Jeru2

Hi Darth Zaphod,
Thanks for the welcome. I am not sure whos who around here yet but I guess an ace is pretty special - they say cool don't they? I am old enough to remember when it was cool the first time and I am not absolutely sure what it means this time round. This is still earth isn't it? I think it must be or you wouldn't have been able to make your message so soon. I still believe in relativity and all that old hat stuff. I can't quite see myself using smiley faces yet but maybe I'll get the hang of it - I don't do texting either.

I'm wondering since I joined this outfit yesterday whether a nickname suits me and I am thinking of changing it to the name my mother gave me - Jeff. My father must have agreed but I am pretty sure he did not do much choosing. What do you think?

Anyway, thanks again
Jeff

Welcome!

Post 3

Darth Zaphod

smiley - smiley I like jeff...very original. very modern...very, uh, jeff-ishsmiley - smiley Splendid little name, I do say! Yes...jeff works. smiley - smiley

DZsmiley - planet

Welcome!

Post 4

Jeru2

DZ,
Thanks for your encourangement. I am still in many minds on how to represent myself in this space - as you see, my engagement is tentative - I am busy tending my own little acre and with saxophone practice. My wife's uncle JZ was big on representation and many other things. I do not mean that I posess my wife or she me - just that we are lifelong companions.

My cousin Gilbert, who I hardly know, refererred to our grandfather, who I did not know at all, as "old Pozzer". I am tempted to adopt Pozzer as a nickname on his behalf but I have yet to complete my research on his connection with that name. The internet tells me that it is an uncommon surname in Italy and also turns up in Ontario. This is intriguing because many of my father's elder brothers and sisters settled in Ontario soon after the end of the first world war with some of their cousins called Smith. I still have cousins in Ontario. I guess they didn't just go to Ontario but followed some well-trodden path.

Another possibility relates to the old version of my given name before it was modernised, made cute, given the Hollywood treatment, whatever. I am tempted by Osewold who was the Reve of Geoffrey Chaucer's Reve's tale. I am sure you see my dilema. I am not impulsive and I like to think things out.

Your other clients are probably well into their research by now and you should probably give them most of your attention. I see that someone else is already doing the Isle of Wight for h2g2. They probably have the whole thing sewn up but I wonder if they have noticed that West Wight is at the centre of the universe. My research consists of gazing at the northern slope of Tennyson Down watching the changing patterns of cloud and sunlight. It certainly feels like the centre of the universe.

JR

Welcome!

Post 5

Darth Zaphod

Clients? hahasmiley - smiley nah, I don't really have clients. I'm just around to welcome newcomers to the area, and then I'm done with them. Much like my little chicklings, leaving the nest as soon as they can flysmiley - smiley hehe. Good luck on your name search! I too have a nickname, "Sick" but that's because my last name is Sisneros, and one of my friends (who is now my best friend) when she first met me, accidentally pronounced it Sickneros. So, now my nickname is sicksmiley - smiley Not too in-depth or profound, but hey-it suits me.

Don't worry so much about making a name for yourself around here--talk in lots of groups, make new friends, and before you know it, everyone on h2g2 will know your name! No matter what it is!

Darth Zaphodsmiley - planet

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Jeru2

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more