This is the Message Centre for Richard

Computers

Post 1

Richard

Most people say they hate computers.. they are mistaken it takes a IT professional to really hate computers.. a sort of love hate relationship. We always say we would like to pack it all in and do something less stressfull like moving off to a desert island to paint naked women (as if I could ever catch them while carrying 5l dulux white emulsion.) But can we leave just after we have solved this particular problem it won't take more than 10 min.. 30 min.. a couple of hours.. certainly no more than a week as long as I work 14 hours a day..
But then we solve the problem that is bugging us.. only to discover the solution has either opened so many other possiblities or interesting problems we'll just leave next week if thats ok and so on.
We then must tell the world about our fabulous discoveries and how it can change their lives.
The normal answer being "Thats interesting.. good work " meaning of course "get a life and get out of my office".
The only people who understand are other IT people.
We obviously look down on these mere home users with their problems with their games and their brand new top of the range PCs to run them on.
A TRUE professional will only upgrade their PC if they must it take 20 minutes to start.. so what.. but what they lack in power they make up for in quantity.
We are only happy if we are surrounded by equipment Routers, PCs Monitors,Hubs, Switches all tied to us with lengths of Cat5 cable.
We want to escape, this is not our hobby, this is only our work.. many people do jobs they don't really want to do..
Well I must go now.. time to go home and relax.. as soon as I figure out why my webserver is not running right and my email server is not talking to the world..

maybe I'll relax tomorrow

Key: Complain about this post

Computers

More Conversations for Richard

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more