A Conversation for A terribly simple soup

Peer Review: A850402 - A terribly simple soup

Post 1

Spacial Alluriuum

Entry: A terribly simple soup - A850402
Author: Spacial Alluriuum - U205468

this would be my first entry; I feel soup is important enough that in a bind, someone will be able to throw a soup together using this one as an example.

A850402 - A terribly simple soup

Post 2

Azara

Hi, Spacial Alluriuum!

It's always good to see new people writing entries for the Guide. Once you've written an entry, it's already part of the Unedited Guide, and anyone who puts 'Soup' into the h2g2 search engine will find it.

To become part of the Edited Guide, it has to follow the Writing Guidelines, and then be picked by a scout here in Peer Review. I think there's a bit of a problem with your entry, as far as being suitable for the Edited Guide is concerned: while the soup is very simple, the main ingredient nutritionally is the oxo base - the rest is all flavourings. I'm very fond of cooking myself, and I wouldn't really think that that is a distinctive enough soup to merit a separate entry of its own. (There is a very big collaborative entry already on Soup Recipes at A640063.)

I think you might be better to leave this as part of the Unedited Guide - as I said earlier, anyone who puts 'soup' in the search engine will find it already.

Azara
smiley - rose

Post 3

Spacial Alluriuum

Hi,

Alright, so if I submit it to collaborative workshop it would be added to a growing list of other related recipes? If that's not the case I'll just do as mentionned and let the entry sit on its own. Sorry, still new and not at all used to this site.

smiley - cheers

Post 4

Azara

Hi again!

I see that you've deleted the entry - I hope my comments didn't put you off! If you deleted it by mistake instead of just withdrawing it from Peer Review, you can put it back again if you want. Remember, just sitting there in the Guide means that people can find it with a search, even if it's not edited.

smiley - cheers
Azara
smiley - rose

Post 5

Spacial Alluriuum

Hi,

Actually I may have overlooked the option of withdrawing the write-up but I had actually copied it and then deleted it from peer review, and simply made a new entry. To tell ya the truth, the whole reason I tried to get it "approved" in a peer review was because I had done searches to see if I could find it among other search results (even tried "terribly" as a search word) and never did see it. I gather the search goes through ever word in every entry?

thanks for your help, appreciated for sure.smiley - ok

Post 6

Spiff

Hi Spacial A, smiley - smiley

shame to actually delete this - that's not really the way h2g2 works. smiley - smiley

the fact that your piece is in a forum is one thing, but there's no need to 'blow it into outer-space'!' smiley - biggrin

btw - when thinking about this title, i have constantly thought of 'simply terrible soup' - not quite what you had in mind, no doubt, but none-the-less what i thought about... smiley - yikes

all the best on h2g2
spiff

Post 7

Spacial Alluriuum

Hey.

Yeah it was deleted but only because of the confusing interface. I had copied and pasted it to a new entry, which in the end would really amount to withdrawing it from peer review in the first place (too bad I didn't see such a link. No matter.)

So now I'm really confused. Is this the same "guide" inspired by Douglas Adams or is this simply a slightly modified version which is not aimed for those who are running on a bugget whilst travelling across either a planet or tract of galaxy? So far I haven't been discouraged by the less-than-straightforward guide system I see here. I'm new to the system, I have some learning to do. I imagine Douglas Adams wouldn't have worried about this fact. He would have dismissed it as something you simply have to deal with when using "the guide." I can understand that - I have quite a few years in dealing with systems as it is.

What's worrying me is how you played with my title, completely losing the point of the entry (polarizing it, in fact). Based on this feedback see before me, I don't think I should post any more entries, as I'm used to the 'Guide' that was written in the fictional, though incredibly amusing, books written by Douglas Adams. In them we saw, of course, the fact that when you're skipping along across a planet or galaxy, half the time you're stuck with very little or nothing to work with as far as money or food is concerned. I'm kind of glad Adams didn't take the time to explain just how irritating it actually would be to live this life as it would be a tangent that might go too far for the usual reader.

Your opinion on the recipe will be noted, however, have you ever had such a soup? In spite of my actual income, I've never quite lived a life where I didn't get to have some fun with ingredients just to see if something interesting could be made from very little. I have a feeling I didn't find the 'guide' I hoped I would find. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course. I'm all about being set straight when I'm wrong.

Meanwhile, I'll be throwing myself at the planet, and, missing. Unless that's not acceptable.. Maybe people like me should simply be throwing ourselves at the planet from great distances thinking it's all just a sport. smiley - winkeye

Post 8

Spiff

Hi Spacial, smiley - smiley

Don't Panic! smiley - biggrin

"What's worrying me is how you played with my title, completely losing the point of the entry (polarizing it, in fact). "

Oh, don't worry about me - i wasn't calling your soup 'simply terrible'! smiley - smiley just pointing out that the title was open to an unforunate misreading.

You may be surprised, by the way, to find that nothing is ever *really* deleted from h2g2! we can't see that text any more, but it's still there somewhere, and you can 'retrieve' it quite easily if you want to.

"Based on this feedback see before me, I don't think I should post any more entries, as I'm used to the 'Guide' that was written in the fictional, though incredibly amusing, books written by Douglas Adams."

Well, nobody's twisting your arm, but i certainly hope you won't be put off from reading and posting on this site because of anything *I* might have said. smiley - sadface

Why not stick around, maybe read a few entries and make a few postings and see how you go - there are many different things going on here and lots of friendly people. smiley - ok

All the best and enjoy h2g2
spiff

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for A terribly simple soup

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more