A Conversation for Sauerkraut

Another Country

Post 1

Global Village Idiot

You can add The Netherlands. We have "zuurkool" which tastes pretty much the same to me.

But why are we never told about the *nice* German food? Knoedel/Kloessen (and if you can tell me the difference I'd be grateful); Schweinehaxe; the Goose served around Michaelmas? It's all sausage and sauerkraut!

Oh, and don't dis the English sausage smiley - smiley. Superior in every respect, I'm afraid, to its European counterpart - from the curliest Cumberland, through the spiciest Lincolnshire, to a humble banger. As you're in Watford, you can get hold of some from a butcher called Gibson's (they have a stall in the market), as lauded by Vinnie Jones on "Celebrity Ready, Steady, Cook". And there's a man who knows a thing or two about ground muscle.

Kloesse & Knoedel

Post 2

Garfield formerly known as Sandmaennchen

The surprisingly boring answer:

The word Knoedel is Bavarian and means exactly the same thing as Kloesse. The only difference is that one is an old word from east of the bavarian border (linguistically), whereas Knoedel originates from west of that border.

Basically - you wish now you never asked, eh?

Website reference: http://www.franken.de/users/WebFO/html/kloesse.html#wort

Kloesse & Knoedel

Post 3

Global Village Idiot

No, I'm glad I asked - at least now I know I wasn't missing something smiley - smiley.

Gibson sausages

Post 4

They're going to be tasted tonight - apparently "Gibson's Originals" and I give you a full report on them tomorrow.

Gibson sausages

Post 5

They're probably better than the average British sausage, but doesn't beat the German sausage by any account.
Sorry smiley - sadface

Gibson sausages

Post 6

Global Village Idiot

Okay, we'll have to agree to disagree on that. smiley - smiley

English Delicacies

Post 7

Yes - that's fine by me smiley - smiley

What I do like in England is the Baked Beans and the Bubble&Squeek.

German cookies

Post 8

Cookie Monster

Are there any?

German cookies

Post 9

Spekulatius was my favourite when I was a child. They were made in Wurzen/Saxony and have almonds and ginger in them.If you speak German have a look on http://www.lipperland.de/seiten/xmas for the recipe and other German Christmas cookies.

German cookies

Post 10

Cookie Monster

Lieber Garfield formerly known as Sandmaennchen.
Vielen Dank fuer den wunderschoene Tip, ich kenne die Kekse schon - Makronen finde ich am leckersten, toll jetzt den Rezept zu haben.
Eine Frage noch... gibt es eigentlich Hirschhornsalz in England/USA und wenn ja, wie heisst es?
Ich meine, in 3 Monate haben wir Weihnachten...ummmm, Santa?
HUGS & CRUMS!

German cookies

Post 11

A new one for me too: salts of hartshorn

If you sometimes can't find the translation, this is a nice free website:
http://dictionaries.travlang.com/GermanEnglish/

Viel Spass beim Backen smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post