Leisure District-Gone but not forgotten

3 Conversations

Leisure District-a brief description.


Leisure District was a Chat Service-available on the Internet-but also available on Active Digital Television-consisting of Chat Rooms, Private Rooms, Messaging, a 'Pal Pilot' that like the h2g2 eyes, let you know when your buddies were online, Games-including Hangman-were useful for earning points-points which could be spent on Virtual Greetings cards and flowers to send to Leisure District friends, Virtual Pets-which needed daily care and love-similar to those Tamagotchi toys, and The Library
. The Library had different sections-for Quotes, Poetry and Jokes. The quotes section was useful for bringing important matters to Public knowledge. It was in the Library the most LD-ers revealed more about theirself than just the banter found in the Chatrooms.
The Chatrooms

There were several chatrooms-all with different names-The most popular seemed to be:
The UK Room

Entertainment

The Pub

Romance
and
The Foyer


There were other rooms, Ohio, Washington but these were less busy. There was also The Teen Room-but few brave souls ventured in here-the Kids were rather...naughty. It was in these rooms that conversation flowed-usually started by the Question: A/S/l? which means Age, Sex and Location. And Of course-like h2g2 you had to have your Username. Some people's names were so bizarre that users just had to ask what the names meant! Other names paid Homage to a favourite Film or TV star or character. Other names were just statements about the User-be they happy sad or hungover.


Many friends were made in LD as it was often shortened to-and many LDers made it through to h2g2 via an email link-which has enriched so many people's lives.


LD broke down boundries-and helped people find out that people are the same the whole world over-a fact that becomes even more obvious on the International scale on h2g2.


Leisure District shuffled off it's mortal coil in 2003-to be 'replaced' by another chat service called "Yoome2" but as this is subscription based, It's unsure wether it will have the same success as old LD.


Leisure District-Rising from the Ashes in h2g2.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A992171

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more