Advertising (A Career In)

0 Conversations

Advertising can be broadly defined as charging people money for lying about their things so that other people will pay more money for them.
Careers in advertising have long been regarded as disreputable (hence title of famous book about advertising: Don't tell my mother I work in advertising, she thinks I play piano in a brothel).
In the 1980's, when Capitalism briefly became fashionable, thousands of Oxbridge graduates filled the offices of ad agencies such as Biggles, Pinkerton and Gumboil or Fat Chas's Advertising Take-Away, and drove Porsches, snorted coke, did Lunch, and generally pontificated expensively about nothing.
If you didn't have the imagination to be a rock star, a career in Media had much of the same trappings and didn't involve years travelling round in a VW Camper waiting to be discovered and missing a lot of baths.
By the Millenium, many commentators observed that advertising was to blame for the generally low standard of everything, up to and including advertising itself.
However, most sensible advertising people had, by then, already abandoned the job to run art galleries or sweep roads anyway.
Advice to those considering a career in advertising: Take piano lessons.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A98976

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more