UCAS from an applicants prospectus

0 Conversations

The UCAS (Universities' and Colleges' Admissions Service (UK)) application is a basic and systematic form based electronically for high school applicants to universities and colleges around Britain. This form allows the applicant to apply to 1 to 6 universities in the UK and only fill in one application form. You must fill in this form, send it electronically to UCAS, who then send it out to the relevant universities you've applied for, for them to deliberate over your fate.

By all appearances the UCAS form is rather benign, however the process can be very taxing on the nerves, especially when the teachers that are meant to be helping you aren't making any effort to do so.

Basic Criteria asked for by UCAS

1) Personal Information

  • Title
  • Male/Female
  • Date of Birth
  • Age on 1 September (in the year you're applying)
  • Surname/Family Name
  • First/Given Name(s)
  • Postal Address
  • Postcode
  • Mobile Phone Number
  • Home Phone Number (including STD/area code)
  • Email address
  • 2) Further Details

  • Candidate Number
  • Student Registration Number for HND/HNC/ND/NC
  • Student Support Arrangement
  • Date of First Entry to live in the UK (if not born in UK)
  • Area of Permanent Residence
  • Country of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Residential Category
  • Disability/special needs (including dyslexia)/medical condition
  • 3) Applications in Alphabetical order of institution Code Name

    In this section you are asked to identify the courses you with to apply for, whether you wish to stay at home or go into student accommodation and whether or not you intend to defer the point of entry.

    4) Secondary Further Education

  • Name of the High School(s) you attended
  • Date of entry
  • Date of exit
  • 5) Criminal Convictions

    Do you have any criminal convictions?

    If you have criminal convictions of any description they must be disclosed and you must follow instructions on how to apply, this may means on top of your reference from your Guidance Teacher or Head Teacher getting a character reference from another authority figure to vouch that this was a minor discrepancy .

    6) Additional Information

  • Occupational Background (Your parents occupation)
  • Ethnic Origin
  • 7a) Qualifications completed or Certificated

  • Where you sat the exams
  • Date
  • Subject/Course Name
  • Level Subject was sat at
  • Pass/Fail/award achieved
  • Core Skill Profile
  • 7b) Qualifications Not Yet Completed or Certificated

  • Date you will sit the final exams
  • Subject/Course Name
  • Subject Level
  • Special Needs

    If you have a disability or medical condition you must disclose it to the UCAS board.

    Details of Paid Employment

  • Place of Employment
  • Address of Employment
  • Date started employment
  • Date ended employment
  • Job Description
  • Personal Statements

    The personal statement is where, in the UCAS form, the applicant must make a stunning appeal to their character and ability in 47 lines1. All to be done without sounding really pretentious, arrogant or cocky. There's a very fine line between that and a good Personal Statement.

    In general within the applicants personal statment you have to mention certain aspects, including for example:

  • Introduction - start with something positive.
  • Explain why you want to study in the areas you've chosen.
  • Achievements (School prizes etc).
  • Your Roles at school activities (helping in classes, organising fund raisers etc), your job outside school and what you have gained from these actitivies.
  • Hobbies - h2g2 being a prime example of a worthwhile hobby.
  • Conclusion - round up why you wish to study at university/college and what you hope to gain from it.
  • Once the applicant has finished writing their personal statement it should be given to your Guidance or Head Teacher to check over your work and advice you about how to write a good personal statement. The personal statement is possibly the hardest aspect of the UCAS form as it's literally the only chance you get to prove what you're worth as some courses will not interview applicants.

    1When drafting a personal sentence by using size 12 or 11 in a Word Processing programming will allow you to write 47 and fit exactly into the form.

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    There are no Conversations for this Entry

    Entry

    A987429

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more