America And Its Involvement On The International Scene

2 Conversations

To begin, I would like to say I like all people (even the ones I’d rather not be around). I don’t believe that discriminating is right, and if anything I write here offends anyone, please let me know. I am not here to create tension, only to express my point of view on Americas’ involvement overseas.

As countries go The United States of America is relatively young. Geographically it is amazing, it consists of so much variety, and it is so big. I’m sure I could go on forever describing the landscape. The people are equally amazing and like every other country I’ve ever visited equally diverse. I would however like to focus on one small part of the population. The decision makers and politicians and their determination to be involved in the affairs of other nations.

These decision makers fall under the category of people I like (as I said earlier, I like everyone) but don’t want to spend any time around. They seem to have a bad habit of being morally correct. Which is annoying, as not everyone in this world shares their believe that the American decision makers can collect and make weapons of incredible potential for destruction, while insuring that no one else can. Not only this but by destroying the commerce and political structure of any nation that tries. I do not believe that any nation has the right to do this, and would like to request that it these American decision makers stop interfering in other countries, and instead lead by example. Judging from the worldwide protests I am not the only one who feels this way. I am also aware that the USA is not the only country that acts this way, but it is always easier to pick on the ringleader.

But what can we as individuals do to make a difference? The United States of America is a big and powerful country and its decision makers no less so. Many people have chosen to take to the streets in organized protest to show their dissatisfaction with things as they are, however I don’t feel that this makes a difference as much as it use to. (I live in a city were there is a protest daily against everything from lawn watering restrictions to health care cuts, what difference does one more make?) What I have chosen to do to protest the American involvement in other nations governments is to boycott products produced and sold by large American companies and instead supporting local industries when I can. It may mean spending a few cents more for the same thing, but those few cents go directly into the local economy instead of directly into the big American economy.

I feel that if others were to participate in boycotting American products in their daily lives untill America and simular countries agree not to continue collecting distructive wepons and using them to attack other nations for doing so, it could make a difference in the world. I welcome your thoughts and open the floor (with nervous anticipation) to discussion.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A986871

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more