Idiot- the game

0 Conversations

The game of Idiot was introduced around August 2002 at the University of Alabama, by Bennet N Robinson (aka Ned Nosnibor, Baron von Strosity.) In summary, the game consists of two teams whomping the holy tar out of each other with cardboard weapons until only one team is left standing. Complete rules are as follows:

Player Preparation

1. The playing field shall be a rectangle of any dimension agreed to by both teams. Long, narrow fields are preferred, as they allow players to build up a good head of steam charging, and it doesn´t allow for much dodging room.

2. Each team shall consist of any number of players, as long as the number of players is equal for both teams.

3. Each player is required to wear at least 10 square feet of cardboard as armor. They are also instructed to contruct a weapon, of any size of shape they wish, out of cardboard. All weapons and armor may only be constructed of cardboard, duct (or packing) tape, glue, and paint.

Field Preparation

1. The playing field should be throuroughly wetted down before play. Ideally, a sprinkler or a rainstorm should be active for at least 12 hours before the game starts.

2. Proper games of Idiot should take place a night. This car headlights to produce interesting lighting effects on the playing field, and if facilitates escape if the cops show up, as Idiot ( or the people playing the game) are almost definitely breaking a few laws in the area.

Playing.
1. To begin play, each team gathers at opposite sides of the field, within five feet of the field´s edge.

2. Each team will have a flag (or other light, brightly colored object) placed within five feet of the field´s edge.
3. The object of Idiot is to capturing the opposing team´s flag and return it to your starting point. After a team successfully does that, play is over until both teams return to their starting postions and both flags are returned to their starting positions. Play then resumes. The team that scores the most points at the end of play wins.

4. Players may attack opposing players with their cardboard weapons, to defend, attack, or because they simply feel like it. All shots except for headshots are legal. Any headshot will result in the offender being removed from play. Any attack with anything but a cardboard weapon is also grounds for being removed.

5. If a player submits (usually accompanied by the phrase "I give up", or¨"Please stop hitting me") or goes out of bounds, he is out for the rest of the game.

6. The game is over when one team has lost all its players. At that time, the team with the most points wins.

7. Each game of Idiot shall have 6 referees, who shall make sure all rules are obeyed. Their decisions on game matters is binding.

Observations on Idiot
1. People are going to get hurt. It is pretty much inevitable. A popular side-bet is a pool on which player will require medical attention first.

2. In the highly charged atsmosphere of Idiot, a player might be tempted to ruch headlong into the fray. This will result in that player being surrounded by people who want to hit him, and should be avoided.

3. Players are encouraged to put great amounts of effort and creativity in their armor and weapons. With a little work and thought, your mess of cardboard can become a work of art. True, its going to get demolished during play, but all art is ephemeral.

4. Players are also encouraged to get liquored up before the game, as that tends to make it seem like a much better idea.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A977484

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more