Margaret Gibson and Agnes Smith Lewis, Pioneering Scholars--Long Version

0 Conversations


Margaret Gibson and Agnes Smith Lewis were twin sisters. At a time in the 19th century when women were not expected to attend University, they both studied ancient languages; they become world-renowned scholars, making a number of pioneering discoveries.


Early Life, Marriage and Widowhood


Agnes and Margaret Smith were the twin daughters of a Scottish solicitor, born in the small town of Irvine in Ayrshire in 1843. Their mother died before they were a year old. They learned French, German and Latin at an early age, and travelled extensively in France, Germany and Italy with their father, John Smith. On his death in 1866, they jointly inherited a fortune of over £250,000, which had been made in America by the family of a cousin. Although they were very rich by the standards of the day, their middle-class background and the association with 'trade' meant they never mixed with high society. Left independent at the age of 23 by their father's death, it was natural for the sisters to think of more extensive travel.


In 1866 (age 25) they set out on a long trip to Istanbul, Cyprus and Egypt, accompanied by their former teacher, Grace Blyth. From Alexandria they set off for Jerusalem and Jericho, an expedition on horseback, accompanied by a train of servants with mules and armed guards. On their return to Britain, they moved to London, and joined the Clapham Road Presbyterian Church. In London, Agnes wrote and published, first a book of their travels, then three novels. The novels dealt with the problems and responsibilities of wealth, a natural pre-occupation for someone who was both wealthy and religious. The twins went on to study both Spanish and Greek, and were careful to insist on learning modern Greek as well as the classical language. A long visit to Greece in 1883 produced another book of travels, Glimpses of Greek Life and Scenery. This was translated into Greek, and its complimentary descriptions of Greece and its people ensured the sisters a ready welcome on their later visits.


In 1883, at the age of 40, Margaret (Maggie) married James Young Gibson. Gibson was a middle-aged and rather sickly Prebyterian clergyman, who was a cousin of the twin's friend and former teacher, Grace Blyth. While he and Maggie worked together on translations from Classical Greek, Agnes occupied herself by learning Hebrew. Unfortunately, James died in 1885. To distract her widowed sister, Agnes decided that they should move to Cambridge, where she hoped the libraries would contain something to stir Maggie's interests in Greek and Hebrew studies once more.


In Cambridge, Agnes met and fell in love with the Reverend Samuel Lewis, the Librarian of Corpus Christi College. Unlike the pleasant and likeable Gibson, Lewis was eccentric, fussy, and pre-occupied with his College duties. Nevertheless, he and Agnes were married in 1888.They set up house with Maggie, building a large and luxurious house in Cambridge which was the twins' home for the rest of their lives. The trio travelled together to Algeria. Lewis died in 1891.


Discovery in a Butter Dish


The twins had long wished to visit Mount Sinai, which James Gibson had visited in his youth. More recently, the scholar Rendel Harris had been enthusiastic about the interesting manuscripts to be found at the Greek Orthodox Monastery of Saint Catherine, at the foot of Mount Sinai. They now decided to make an extended trip. In preparation, Maggie expanded her knowledge of Arabic, while Agnes set about learning Syriac. In 1892, they travelled to Cairo, where they obtained letters of introduction from various dignitaries of the Greek church. From Cairo, it was a 10 day journey by camel to Saint Catherine's Monastery. Importantly, the luggage on their train of camels included a camera and xxxxx glass plates.


The Cairo Genizeh


D


I


text


II


text


III


text

  • a
  • b
  • c
  • d
  • e
  • f
  • g
  • h


The Sisters' Legacy


The sisters published 4 books, general travel guide, scholarly commentaries


They were recognised by a number of universities. doctorates heidelberg trinity


scholarships at Cambirdge. funds still bring in £7,000 a year. members of the reformed church


D


D


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A9753546

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more