Magnetic Core Memory

1 Conversation


Unlike magnetic drums, data stored in magnetic core memory is volatile, which means that it will disappear when the electricity stops flowing. Core memory is capable of random access from one moment to the next, whereas access to different areas of drum memory can be done on successive revolutions only. A significant improvement over drums derives from the lack of moving parts in a core. Magnetic core memory is the precursor to the integrated circuits of DRAM1 used in all desktop computers of this era.


Core memory is constructed as a three-dimensional matrix of ferrite toroids2. Each ferrite bead sits at the node of three wires threaded through the hole in the torus. Two wires are at right-angle to each other, the third is a sense wire.


Electricity switched through the X and Y wires cause the magnetic polarity of the torus to change accordingly with a corresponding flow of electricity in the sense wire. Direction of electrical flow in the sense wire indicates the magnetic polarity that existed in the torus before it was changed by the read operation. Electronic logic circuitry controls the addressing, reading, writing, and maintenance of data in the core. Binary data in the core is encoded as magnetic polarities. Core memories are usually made in bricks of 4096 words.


Two examples of computers that use core memory are:

  • Honeywell DDP5163.
  • Redifon R20004.


The DDP516 was used to drive the flight simulation of the Blackburn Buccanneer S2B, part of the United Kindom's nuclear strike force. Each morning the computer required the programme to be loaded into core memory from punched paper tape, whereas the R2000 was loaded from 9-track reel-to-reel magnetic tape.

1DRAM: Dynamic Random Access Memory.2A ferrite torus looks like a miniature Polo Mint, or, for our American readers, a Lifesaver. Doughnuts or donuts are figurative too. Ferrite is inedible.3DDP516: Digital Data Processor, Series-5, 16-bit word length. Programming was done in DAP16, digital assembly language programming.4This computer was modelled on the DDP516, but had a 24-bit word length.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A969447

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more