Known Bugs with Browsers

0 Conversations

This is where we report problems with GuideML and browsers, so you know that it's not our fault...

If you spot an error that you think is a problem with your browser let us know the details below, and if you are right we'll list it on this page.

Macintosh Internet Explorer 4.5

  • HEADER tags have very little space below them - this isn't a problem on any other of the popular browsers.

  • If long names appear in the right-hand column, then the column expands and squashes the main body of text. Again, this 'feature' is unique to Mac IE 4.5.

  • Long BOXHEADER titles do not wrap - this isn't a problem on the Windows version of IE 5.

Konqueror (versions prior to 2.2.1)

  • Cookies do not work with Konqueror, so you cannot log in. This has been fixed in version 2.2.1.

Windows Netscape Gold 3.03

  • BOXHOLDER tags display with a space near the left hand end.

Windows Netscape 4.6

  • BOXHOLDER tags with an empty right hand title do not display the right hand (light blue) end of the title bar correctly.

Internet Explorer 4

Some versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 can be slow when viewing h2g2 - here's how to fix this.


If you're using Microsoft Internet Explorer 4, and you haven't upgraded to Service Pack 2 (SP2), then you may find browsing h2g2 a painful experience, especially if you use a modem.


The problem is that whenever Internet Explorer 4 submits a form (see below), it causes all the graphics files on the following page to be downloaded again, even if they were already in your browser cache. This is a bug in Internet Explorer 4.


So, what is 'submitting a form'? Put simply, any time you fill in a text box in your browser and pass it to h2g2, you're submitting a form. So this includes the following activities:

  • Posting to a forum
  • Searching h2g2
  • Adding a user page
  • Editing a user page
  • Adding a journal entry


So you can see that it will happen fairly often.


The solution is one of the following:


If you want to fix this problem, simply click on one of the links above, and you will be taken to the relevant page on Microsoft's web site.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A957125

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more