A Conversation for Talking Point: A Good Read

David Eddings!!!

Post 1

Crickett

I am a rapacious reader, and have been since the age of three. I learnt to read and write before i went to school, and I love it!

So I have read an awful lot of books in the 26 years that have followed the "Janet and John" books! And without a shadow of a doubt the very best ones I have ever read are ... anything by David Eddings. And i have read them all.

I discovered his books about 8 years ago when my boyfriend at the time (now my husband) suggested i read some of them. Within two months I had read The Belgariad, the Mallorean, and the Tamuli (nine books in all) - not a bad feat for a law student who had about 8 hours of reading cases to fit in as well!!

I like the fact that although they are high fantasy, the language is up to date. He does not make the mistake of copying Tolkien - he is original. His characters are well formed, the dialogue hilarious, and it is pure, gentle escapism.

As for books not worth the paper they are written on - the new brand of "Bridget Jones twenty year old lifestyle of the rich and famous" novel. I can't stand them, and find them to be a complete and utter waste of time!


David Eddings!!!

Post 2

Clio, Dentonite, Libtech, Procrastinator and HNM

Have you read the Elenium which comes before the Tamuli? If you have then you've read 16 books. Belgariad-5 Mallorean-5 Elenium-3 Tamuli-3. There is also Belgarath the Sorceror and Polgara the Sorceress (my fave out of all the books). They also put one together called the Rivan Codex which details cultures and histories of Belgarion's world. The Eddings have also written Redemption of Althalus, which was a stand alone novel (and excellent) and the new one is called Regina's Song but I haven't read that one yet. All in all, these are some of the best books I have read, and I re-read them at least once a year.


David Eddings!!!

Post 3

Laura

My Eddings books are probably my most re-read (save one discworld book which I tend to re-read every couple of months). If I'm ever stuck for somethig to read then I go through the whole lot again. smiley - smiley They're brilliant to go back to, and don't loose anything on the retelling.


David Eddings!!!

Post 4

Crickett

I forgot about the Elenium!! Yes, I have read them all, including Belgarath, Polgara and Althalus. the riven codex was good, but not as brill as the others. I just love them! Between my husband and i we have all of his books! And you are right, they are great to re-read!


David Eddings!!!

Post 5

nadia

Have any of you read the losers? It's not genre fiction but I wouldn't hold that against it. It's rather a good read. Also he has a new book coming out soon, first in a 4+ part series, it's called the Elder Gods and it sounds like he might just have come up with a new plot fot this one.
smiley - orangefish


David Eddings!!!

Post 6

Clio, Dentonite, Libtech, Procrastinator and HNM

Haven't read the losers (yet) but I am very excited about a new series!smiley - smiley I always have a big letdown when I get to the end of a favourite authours works.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more