The Relic Master by Catherine Fisher

1 Conversation

In a few ways, this book can be compared to any book by Tamora Pierce, but don't be misled. There are many differences.
The first, and perhaps the most important, is that Pierce is an American. Ms Fisher is (I assume) English. This is the root of all the other differences.
The Relic Master feels like it was written to entertain, to entice, to enthral the audience.
Pierce's books leave the impression of a passionless exercise in producing something that will keep a vacuous reader entertained, without upsetting her with anything other than a totally happy ending.
The Relic Master is full of interesting, realistic characters that the reader finds herself caring about. It's quite fulfilling to read that Raffi and Galen don't get along; it adds a hint of realism, of imagination on the author's part.
Then there's Carys. The reader finds herself caring about Carys, worrying about her safety, almost weeping for her when Galen is angry with her. She is a real character, with hidden - genuine - motives. None of this is what you would find in a Tamora Pierce novel, in which everything is black and white, easy for the American valley girl to take in and digest.
The story line is no letdown either. Around every corner the reader finds genuine excitement, in which the characters meet genuine danger, and where she will once again question the true motives and intentions of Carys.

Raffi and Galen are some of the last surviving members of the Order, a religious group that worships the Makers, which is persecuted by the Watch, the police equivalent, that seems to run everything.
Raffi and Galen spend their time going around looking for relics, artefacts left by the Makers, and trying to keep them out of the Watch's hands.
All through it is hinted that the planet once had some technological civilisation. The relics all look suspiciously like modern pieces of technology.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable read, it easily achieves four and a half stars: **** ½.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A940691

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more