I want to make a special needs game

1 Conversation

I work with disabled people, in a day care center. These are adults (21 to 55 years) with severe learning difficulties. All staff have personal "specialist activities" they propose each week, according to their interest and thus competence.
One of my specialties are many "artistic" activities as I am a fairly creative person (studied some semesters of Art).
Once a week we offer "games" - memory, snakes'n'ladders, ludo etc. It is seen as a relaxing activity and yet it is an excellent social activity with educational aspects.

I have started to adapt some of our games to help people with visual or motor problems; games are painted over (not too good from an educational point of view) if illustrations are aimed at 3-year olds (which is unacceptable in a center catering for adults' needs) or I make card sleeves to hide 'silly' playing pieces. Sometimes I buy a game just to have an object or accessory I like, or because it can be transformed without too obviously indicating that there is 'something else under the make-up' thus inviting people to take off the paint or doodle on the object/ dismantle the object.

To me "games" are more than a pass-time to fill a few hours before going home. I went on a week's course to learn more about some aspects of these games - unfortunately it is so long ago that I remember little of use, and I can't seem to find publications and websites.

A while ago I began to invent games (I gave Art lessons at home and games were a good teaching aid). Some have a distinctly educational purpose, some are simply smile-generating fun.

I wish to continue this type of creativity ... as in discussions with some of the users I found that they have wishes regarding the games they'd like (rules, board, pieces, accessories), and many would like to be involved in creating something for everybody.

To make this a success I need the materials to make their and my games with them and for them: I want these games to look and feel as good as the bought ones if I can.
I would like to find blank puzzles and playing and memory and domino cards, playing pieces of different sizes and shapes and weights, glossy boards we can paint ourselves, magnetic paint and magnets, die-cut card shapes etc...

Thankyou in advance to all members who:
*have had similar experiences and wish to share positive and negative discoveries, successes and set-backs,
*can give information on games classification, psychology, sociology etc.etc.
*can give addresses of manufacturers of such items, web addresses, titles of magazines or books dealing with this topic,
*know of manufacturers looking for games

P.S. I am working on a web page describing some of the craft/art activities I shall offer at work. Occasionally there will be ideas for adapting games/ transforming games, and about games the users at our day center enjoy. If my above "plea for help" results in replies giving useful information, I might include that info on my HP. I won't give your name but will give the general BBC h2g2 address. I will indicate my HP address here, once it is advanced enough, as it might be of use to others.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A918236

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more