A rose by any other name.

1 Conversation

smiley - rose

Within the h2g2 community a lot of noise was made over its demise and the resulting takeover by the BBC. Pressure groups were mustered and a good grouse was had by all. Lurk around and it becomes apparent that h2g2 researchers were biting the hand that was trying to feed them.
There were two main areas of concern :

1 - That the memory of DNA (the man) would slip into obscurity.

2 - The self centred concern of some researchers that they would loose the facilities that h2g2 freely provided for them.

BBC came to the rescue on both counts.

DNA (the man) is enshrined in the ongoing development of the DNAhub.
On the second count h2g2 will remain in existence, all be it in a form that will be diluted as BBCi develops specific communities that infringe upon aspects of life, the universe and everything and more and more researchers make their entries under a more organised and controllable collection.

It needs to be recognised that the DNAhub is h2g2 under another name.

As h2g2 grew it would have had to evolve into a much similar form to that being set up under the Hub and it is more than likely that the people who would have done this are basically the same people that are doing it now.

Lets hope that new DNA site subscribers recognise and understand that their real home page is http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/



Ancient Brit - Link this entry to A905500

Addendum June 2003


First change style from plain Text to GML.smiley - smiley

It becomes apparent that a Home Page for the DNA community sites is on the cards. What will that home page look like ?

How long will it take for 'the DNA community' go full circle so as to encompass Life, The Universe and Everything ?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A904042

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more