Blank Pages in Exam Papers in the UK

1 Conversation

Just like the phrase 'This Page Intentionally Left Blank', the words 'Blank Page' appearing in the middle of a blank page in an exam1 can at times seem very odd. This entry looks at why they are there.

Why do the words 'Blank Page' appear on blank pages in exams?

This is very simple - so that the candidate2 knows that the page should not contain any information they need for the exam. There is nothing on there which they need to be concerned about, as the page has been left without anything on it, so the words 'Blank Page' have been put there to tell you of this.

There are many variations of the words 'Blank Page', including the words 'No Questions Printed On This Page'. It all depends on the exam board of the paper.

There are also other ways to tell if a blank page is intentional or not. Most exam papers have the number of questions and pages printed on the front of the paper, and each page is usually individually numbered and has a heading and serial number. The reason the words 'Blank Page' appear is to save the candidate time.

Why do exams have blank pages in them?

Well, the majority of blank pages appear at the end of the paper, and do not usually contain any text at all. This is because of how the exams are printed, there are a few unused pages, and since after the last question the words 'End of Paper' appear, the exam boards save ink and leave the following pages totally blank.

When blank pages appear in the middle of exam papers, they are there because the following question goes over a double page, and you will need to see both pages at the same time to answer the question. Therefore, blank pages usually only appear on the recto3, and it is very odd to see a blank page on the verso4 of the paper.

Do blank pages appear often in exam papers?

Not really. Exam boards only use blank pages when they are needed, and most blank pages appear in language5 exams, where there is a block of text on one side, and questions about the text that need to be answered on the other side. These questions are usually things like true or false questions from the text, so the exam boards have the question going over two pages to make it easier for the candidate.

However, most exam boards try to avoid using blank pages as the smaller the exam papers are, the cheaper they are to produce, the lighter and easier they are to transport, and the simpler the exam is for the candidate.

1Blank pages only appear in booklet exams, and usually only when you answer on the exam paper itself.2Person taking the exam3Right hand side4Left hand side5Not including English

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A903070

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more