Berlin by Public Transportation

1 Conversation

For most tourists, Berlin is an exciting city. So much to do, so much to see... but how do you get to where you can do things and see stuff? The Guide offers you some insights on how to experience Berlin by Car. However, for those among you who are sane enough not to plunge into that adventure, there is help. Like many other German cities (take Munich as an example) Berlin has a sophisticated system of public transportation.

Types of Transport

There are different kinds of public transportation in Berlin. Each has its own advantages and drawbacks. What makes getting around in Berlin fairly comfortable is the fact that the different systems work together. As far as it is possible, the various modes of transportation are timed in such a way as to keep waiting time short.

These are the different systems you can go by:

  • Bus
  • S-Bahn
  • U-Bahn
  • Straßenbahn

Buses

Buses in Berlin are... well, buses are simply buses. Big cars with seats for a lot of people and with combustion engines, usually driving on diesel fuel and usually blasting black clouds of fume and smoke from their exhaust pipes. There are some double deckers out there, but more often than not, the buses are just one storey deals.

Buses can be found all over Berlin, so there is a good chance that you will be riding on one of them at some point. Provided that there are no delays, most buses will stop at your station at 20 minute intervals, or 10 minute intervals during rush hour. On many of the bigger streets, buses have a lane for themselves, so they get around quite well - until they come across that one car driver (and there always seems to be one, somewhere) that uses the bus lane as extra parking space for himself.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A897177

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more