Rambling and Hillwalking: The Country Code

0 Conversations

Take only memories, leave nothing but footprints.

- Chief Seattle


The quote above could make a good summation of the Country Code, which is used for the benefit of all who either visit or work in the countryside.


As well as being a guide to the do's and don'ts for visitors to the countryside, the Country Code also explains the rights that landowners have in looking after and working the land whilst allowing access to the public. There are twelve main points in the Code, all aimed at making a visit to the countryside a safe and enjoyable experience for all while protecting the environment.


The revised Code was published on 12th July 2004.


On October 31st 2005 the so-called 'right to roam' was extended through the Countryside and Rights of Way Act, making it even more important for the code to be adhered to in order to avoid conflict with landowners. These new rights of access will allow people to walk across mapped areas of open country without the need to stick to paths. Details of this Act will be dealt with later in this entry.

The Code Itself


Here is the list of the twelve items of the Country Code:

  1. Respect the life and work that goes on in the country.
  2. Close and secure all gates.
  3. Guard against all risk of fire.
  4. Keep dogs under control at all times.
  5. Keep to paths where ever possible.
  6. Use gate and styles to cross walls and hedges.
  7. Do not interfere with livestock,crops and farm machinery.
  8. Take your litter/rubbish home.
  9. Help to keep water clean.
  10. Protect wildlife, plants and trees.
  11. Take special care on country roads.
  12. Make no unnecessary noise.


The code list appears, at first glance, to be made up of commonsense and courtesy. However it is always the simplest of things that, when forgotten, can turn a day out in the countryside into a nightmare trip.

The Code in Detail

  1. You need to remember that the countryside is a living, working enviroment for a lot of people in all aspects of work, not just farming, show respect to all living and working in the country.

  2. Closing and securing gates is, by its very nature, intended to prevent farm animals from escaping or venturing onto roads and by-ways. It is essential that gates are secured; if you go through a gate already open and are not sure, close it. Better safe than sorry!

  3. Fire risk is a hazard easily avoided.Do not discard cigarette ends or matches on the ground. Do not light camp fires in exceptionally dry areas1 and never leave a camp fire unattended. Broken glass, apart from the normal cutting hazard, can act as a magnifying glass and cause a fire in the height of summer.

  4. Keep dogs under control at all times. When walking across fields containing animals keep dogs on a lead.

  5. Always try to stick to footpaths unless on a mapped route across open land. This reduces erosion and damage and recognised paths can be maintained as appropriatel by the farmer or organisation responsible.

  6. Always use gates and stiles to cross hedges and walls. This is for safety as well as to prevent damage.

  7. Do not interfere with livestock, walk by quietly to avoid startling cattle or sheep for your own safety as well as theirs, especially in the breeding season. Leave crops alone, remember they could be sprayed with pesticides, do not be tempted to sample or eat crops from a field. Never tamper with farm machinery, the dangers of doing so are self-evident.

  8. Take all litter home with you. Discarded litter, apart from being unsightly, is potentially dangerous for animals and wildlife.

  9. Help to keep waterways, brooks and streams clean. Do not 'dump' rubbish in ditches and waterways.

  10. To protect wildlife, observe from a safe distance and avoid interfering with their habitat, nests or lairs. Do not pick any wild flowers, and don't cut or break branches from trees - especially for camp fires.

  11. When walking on country roads extra care is needed as generally there are no footpaths, the roads are narrow and winding with blind spot hazards. Always walk facing oncoming traffic and in single file as near as is safe to the kerbside.

  12. Keep noise levels to an absolute minimum especially when walking near animals. If your intention is to see wildlife in the countryside then noise is the last thing you need.


When the detail of the Code is read it will be obvious that most of it is commonsense. It is the responsibility of all who use the countryside to observe the Code and adhere to it wherever possible.

1Many National Parks have specific regulations banning camp fires in any case. Check before you leave home.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A8874525

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more