The h2g2 Post 01.04.24

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 1st April 2024

This week's title is April Follies. Clockwise from upper left: A bird in a bare tree in silhouette against a blue sky, two birds on a beach (one is jumping), view of a medieval alley, wall, and church spire with what looks very much like a UFO right over the steeple, a seashell and the imprint of seaweed making a delicate pattern on a Scottish beach, a glimpse of a boat in a harbour, the bottom of an album page with photos of frogs, blurry photo of singers in t-shirts and jeans grouped around a classic car, a particoloured cat with her matching newborn kitten, and a large lawn covered with geese.

Greetings, fellow Earthlings. Welcome to our 1 April issue. Reality has taken a side trip lately – from arguments about whether what we're seeing on our newsfeeds is real or AI to pronouncements of doom, real and imagined. By the way, we're planning on publishing next week, pending apocalyptic events, although some armchair Nostradamus here in the US (it would have to be here) says the solar eclipse is going to be the Big One. It seems the path is going to traverse seven 'cities' named Nineveh. . .

We are quite sure that all 64 inhabitants of our local Nineveh will be paying attention. Or maybe not: they may be out reassuring the cows that nothing untoward is going on.

At any rate, your Editor's personal opinion is that the proliferation of Nineveh as a North American toponym has a lot more to do with our ancestors' favourite reading matter than evil portents tracked by NASA. Around here, Isengard is just a family name, but the road signs may make you think you're in the Fertile Crescent. Lebanon, Ohio, is that way.

So, while we wait to see what will result from the occultation other than a lot of confused poultry, we decided to celebrate April Fool's Day in style this year. After all, our official publication date is 1 April. Our contributors took to the task like ducks to water, or geese to Scottish lawns. Instead of our usual breathtaking landscapes and awe-inspiring visuals, we bring you. . .

Weirdness.

This planet is strange. We have animals doing odd things. Found art – found in the nuttiest places. The peculiar vision, and I cannot stress that enough, of Paigetheoracle. Another UFO by FWR, who sees them everywhere. I think they're following him around. Everything and everyone is playing pranks this week.

The fiction? Well, it couldn't get any weirder than it already was, right? Well, maybe. The storytellers are in top form this week, so enjoy the developments. A certain presidential candidate might want to avoid my chapter, and, indeed, this whole issue, which contains random allusions to the windmills at which he tilts.

Our weekly picture quiz was an international effort: Paige took the pic and asked the question, but Hoggetts answered it. You'll like that, too. Paige and I have collaborated (not willingly, on his part) on a Heavy Metal poster. Wonders await you here.

So: be careful out there. Don't take any wooden nickels. Avoid April Foolery that is merely disguised advertising. Also avoid your jocular in-laws. Have a safe week out there while preparing for the end of the world, as usual.

And send more Stuff.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.Cover for A Crime Has Been Committed, the latest omnibus book, available from Lulu.
Buy for yourself or
HooToo Fiction:
give as a gift!
(Click the pic.)
Best in the Galaxy!
(Click the pic.)


Most Bizarre Twitter Take, Literary Division:
Finished The Canterbury Tales and I can say this with certainty: Don't bother.

Zev Good
A hippie van on a charmed road and a giant cat under a magic tree.


April 2024 Creative Challenge:
When Things Got Weird


Video Extra:
Luna's Got the Zoomies
Click here in Ripley


WILDLIFE CAPERS
Geese on the Ground

Geese in a huge gaggle by Paigetheoracle.


MENTAL GYMNASTICS

THAT'S OUR STORY AND
WE'RE STICKING TO IT


Chapter 10
Nature and Its Uses

Lives of the Gheorghenis by DG.

FOUND ART1



Art at My Feet
Plant detritus in a pool, by Paigetheoracle.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
SURPRISES


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


1We're wondering if they should not have left it where they found it. Just saying.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88045428

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more