Calling an Angel

0 Conversations

Calling an Angel

Sint Jan Cathedral in 's-Hertogenbosch, the Netherlands, by Caiman Raptor Elk.

Just had time to take a picture of the 'angel you can call', on top of our Sint Jan�s Cathedral, plus some bonus statuary my son liked.

Angel with mobile phone.

The calling angel was placed some years ago because the original statue had eroded beyond recognition. The sculptor says she is an emancipated female working angel, with a phone, a laptop bag an trouser suit. Someone else started an actual phone number for people in need of a line to the divine or just someone to talk to.

I marked the location of the angel on the overview photo of the Cathedral. Not for people with vertigo.

The cathedral has beautiful stained-glass windows, but since mass was going on it was not appropriate to start an extensive photo session inside�

Innocent Look.Man with a demon on a chain, from the Sint Jan Cathedral.

The innocent statue lifts her skirts to reveal.... more skirts.

The demon-pet-holding gentleman clearly disagrees with sitting on a rooftop instead of his horse.

Some numbers and such:

Sint Jan is a sandstone 'Brabant gothic' style Basilica Cathedral with 16 double flying buttresses. The brick and mortar tower is 73 metres high. The base of the tower is the oldest bit and is a remnant of the previous Romanesque style church. Due to the French, for reasons of community purposes like time-keeping and it being an important watchtower, the tower is property of the city to this day, while the rest of the building is owned by the congregation. Original building took from 1220 till 1530. There are around 600 statues inside and mostly outside. The most recent restauration work started in 1949 and is still ongoing (the previous restauration took from 1860 till 1939). That is the trouble with sandstone and acid rain...

Caiman Raptor Elk Archive

Caiman Raptor Elk

15.01.24 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88042953

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more