h2g2 Post 2024 Writing Challenge: Prequels, Sequels, and Paralipomena

1 Conversation

h2g2 Post 2024 Writing Challenge: Prequels, Sequels, and Paralipomena

Exotic Gothic types reading our books in their exotic Gothic library

What's that, you ask? Oh, the title, as Cyrano famously replied before dissecting a bad actor with a rapier. We're not that analytical, sensitive, or critical. If you don't like it, stand further back1.

Oh, all right. The name of the game this year is for our writers to expand on something they've already started. Which gives them a pretty wide latitude. Some have opted to pull that short story out of the archives, dust it off, and see where it leads. Your Editor, having realised that nothing good would come of a sequel to any of the previous novels – the heroes being either at war, divorced, or straying into dubious theological territory – has decided that discretion is the better part of valour and done a riff on an old theme. That falls under the 'paralipomena' category2.

We also decided to start in January, thus making a full break from all that 'write a novel in November' nonsense. There were several reasons for this – the field is too crowded in November, people are tired of reading then, you can't write anything good at that pace and besides, some people have jobs and kids – but the main one was that, after finishing our last ones sometime last summer and spending months getting them ready for sale, we needed a break. Now we're raring to go – at least, most of us are, Your Editor is still dithering – and hope you're ready to do some reading.

You'll get a chapter a week until these are done. Be prepared for wild rides.

Herewith the List

A weird Roman mosaic with a character riding on a lion.

Lives of the Gheorghenis. By Your Editor, obvs. Everybody wants to know about 'genre' these days, so first off: this is a digressive fictional history. Yes, that's a thing. Never heard of Tristram Shandy? What about Don Quixote? No, I know you've never read either of them. But you know how to pretend you did. If you don't read this one, you'll have to wait for the Cliff Notes version to come out in order to pretend you read it. That might take a while. Probably better to read it now and get it over with.

What's it about, you say? I haven't the faintest idea. Other than it's about Gheorghenis. They're a dodgy bunch. I imagine they will have adventures if they ever stop talking. I think I'll tell you about them – if I can keep my mind on the task. You'll probably need a dictionary for this one, and maybe an atlas, but I'll try to be informative as well as entertaining. The action, such as it is, appears to be starting in a Roman town in the year 42 CE.

A collection of characters around a smoking outline of Nebraska.

Mister President, Nebraska is Missing. . . By Paulh. President Woodhed is having a bad day: his reelection bid hinges on carrying his home state of Nebraska. Then NASA tells him that Nebraska has vanished off the face of the Earth. While he is processing that, the phone rings again, and he hears from the technologically advanced HTTP Indians that they have spirited the state to another planet, and will demand ransom for it. Meanwhile, trillionaire Irving Sprilznick and Spot the Wonder Dog are heading for Nebraska to do some duck hunting. When the state turns out to be missing, they call Woodhed.

Spot decides to call in Deus Ex Machina, the organization that he formed to cope with threats to the Earth. The Board of DEM consists of Spot, Sprilznick, Doctor Neinstein (the blind inventor who once used Spot for a seeing eye dog), Nostradamus, and Extraterrestrial Weasel. They meet in Weasel's apartment on another planet to plan their response to the Indians. Doctor Neinstein's new assistant, an android, turns out to know the language of florgars, the sentient plants in Weasel's solarium.

Will they get Nebraska back? Will the florgars turn out to have helped the HTTP Indians get the technology they needed for abducting Nebraska? Does the future of the universe hinge on a college student in Amherst, Massachusetts? Read the story to find out.

A pretty young girl holding a bazooka.

Robyn Hoodie: The Virgin Diary: By Caiman Raptor Elk. You thought those lockdowns were bad?! (well, you are right, they were. . .). Robyn Hoodie's as yet unnamed sort-of-older-twin-brother has found new absurdities to commit to his spanking new diary, once he manages to find it in the rubble. Will the Girl Geeks Trying to Save the World (or part thereof) survive higher education? Disclaimer: May contain trace elements of lace elephants.

Glowing pocket-watch-like thing with word cloud.

I See You, Jack!: By Freewayriding. After saving the life of a stranger, struggling author James Riding, is given a gift.

The gift of time, or more accurately, the means of travelling back in time. Witnessing events rather than researching them, shedding light upon some of history's most infamous crimes.

His first book, I See You, Jack!, is a global best seller, but Riding becomes obsessed with the discoveries he makes.

Haunted by his past, hunted in his present, and faced with the elimination of his future, Riding soon discovers that there are far more dangerous things to contend with than Jack the Ripper.

Book cover with dried grasses.

The Sea of Grass: by Tavaron. The Sea of Grass will be a story about the end of a journey, a new home and a new beginning. We will explore this place together and find out which adventures will await here. Will everything go as planned? Well, that would only be half the fun, right? I have no idea what exactly we will find.

Create Challenge Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

01.01.24 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Anybody who gets that reference needs to check in with their braincare specialist.2Don't be so lazy. Look it up.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88041954

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more