Goodbye Lenin, Hello Darth Vader: That Odessa Statue

1 Conversation

Darth Vader and a Stormtrooper from the Star Wars films.

Why is there a statue of Darth Vader in Odessa? Why do Ukrainians consider this statue a civic improvement? And what makes it so useful? A quick story is in order.

In the beginning, there was Lenin (Vladimir Ilich Ulyanov), the
founder of the USSR. During most of the 20th Century, statues of Lenin were as common in the territories of the USSR as statues of Christopher Columbus in the United States  – and just as unwelcome to some people. When the Soviet Union was dismantled in the 1990s, so were most of the statues of Lenin, except in Russia and Belarus, where nostalgia was a thing. In the 2010s, Ukraine passed a law to 'decommunise' the city's public art.

Most people in Odessa, Ukraine, weren't nostalgic at all for the
Soviet Union, and with good reason. Millions of Ukrainians died in
the 1932-33 famine known as the Holodomor. Ukraine and other countries recognise this famine as a man-made atrocity generated by
Joseph Stalin in order to decimate the population of Ukraine and gain control of the rich grain-growing region. Ukraine isn't fond of
statues of Stalin and Lenin.

One statue of Lenin escaped the purge, though, in an unusual way. Ukrainian sculptor Alexander Milov (b1979) had an idea. He converted the gypsum Lenin statue, which he reinforced and encased in titanium, into the image of a fictional dictator: Darth Vader from
Star Wars. The result stands at 28 Stovpova Street in
Odessa. The plaque under the majestic object reads: 'Darth Vader: To the Father of the Nation from your thankful children and stepchildren.'

Darth Vader inscription

Is this statue useful? It is. If you are near it, you get free internet. The head of Lord Vader1 emanates a powerful signal from The Force, turning the area into a wifi hotspot.

1Odessa isn't the only city in the world with a statue of the iconic villain. There's a Darth Vader head carved onto the side of the Washington National Cathedral's northwest tower following a competition held in 1980 for children to design images for gargoyles to be added to the tower.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88025853

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more