Hymn #4: Kangaroo, Emu, and a Hymn to the Moon

1 Conversation

Animated Animists

A re-enactment of the Dreamtime.

There's organised religion and there's unorganised religion. A lot of unorganised religion is of the animist variety. Animism is still around in many parts of the world. It's basically the observation that everything on Planet Earth has a spiritual essence. Animists commune with nature and draw lessons from it. They sing and chant, just like everyone else, so for the sake of argument, let's call animist music hymns, too.

Bring on the didgeridoos

Enjoy this kangaroo dance. It seems to be a way to honour the kangaroo by imitating its movements. The music is contagious. I'm impressed by the amount of close observation that's required to perform this dance.

This dance shows us the kangaroo and the emu. The performers helpfully explain the 'moral' behind these animals: they only move forward. People should learn from them.

Of Prussians and Lithuanian Neo-Pagans

All of our ancestors used to be animists. It's a question of how far back you have to go. For Lithuanians, it's not that far back: they were pagans well into the 14th Century. (And probably long afterward, though they were officially 'Christianised' in 1387.) A lot of Lithuanians are rediscovering paganism these days: it's a popular movement in the post-Soviet era.

Lithuanians are related to an extinct group called the Old Prussians. Here's an Old Prussian hymn about the sun and moon. How did the Old Prussians become extinct, you ask? Two words: Teutonic Knights. Ancestors of all those Prussian generals.

Here's an elderly lady in Lithuania explaining and reciting a prayer to the moon. Here's a brief survey of Lithuania's 'happy paganism'. If you watch to the end, you'll hear some chanting that sounds almost Native American, accompanied by an instrument that looks and sounds suspiciously like a didgeridoo.

Elektra, who is half Lithuanian, likes crows a lot. But she is a disgrace to her pagan past in that she really doesn't like spiders and snakes. But I think she could get into the totem poles. And the singing.

Back to church

Do Christian hymnodists sing about nature? Sure, but they're usually careful to give the Creator credit. (I think sometimes they're too worried about copyright issues.) I'll go on some other day about my favourite nature hymnwriter, but for now, I'll let you have one I like: I Sing the Mighty Power of God.

I wonder what that would sound like with a didgeridoo?

DG NaJoPoMo 2016 Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87880486

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more