Freebie Film Tip #19: Whiplash

0 Conversations

Get out the popcorn. It's November.

Freebie Film Tip #19: Whiplash

An Australian outback cowboy

No, we aren't watching instructional films for ambulance-chasing lawyers. We're going to Australia, an exotic locale where I've never been. There, among the kangaroos, are Bad Men and, of course, Westerns…

Today's Short Subjects: You've heard of him, of course: the Jesse James of the Outback. Now hear about Ned Kelly.

I don't have much to say about Mr Kelly, other than to observe that wherever the Irish (and we Scots Irish) go, situations like this seem to happen. Whether in West Virginia or Queensland. The first man on the moon, an Armstrong of all people, is to be applauded: he managed not to start a feud while he was there. Of course, there were only two of them…

Anyway, Australia has everything you need for a Western: sun, sand, horses, and annoying feral Irishmen like Crocodile Dundee. So it's no wonder that the US sent an American actor down there to make a Western.

Although they sent a Norwegian. Go figure. Not sure what the natives made of him.

Today's Feature Film: You know you want to see Whiplash. You just never knew you did. Peter Graves, yes, him, James Arness's 'little' brother – Graves was only 6 foot 4, while Marshall Dillon was 6 foot 7 inches – rides the Outback, bringing law, order, and good banking practices, as far as I can tell. The series was based on the true-life adventures of Freeman Cobb, an American who went out to Australia and founded the first stagecoach company there.

I admit I'm not a big Western fan. But lines like 'There's nothing quite like tea brewed over an open fire' add an unusual flavour to the proceedings that I think you might enjoy.

I might try this one on the brother-in-law, who is a big fan of the genre. The other night, I got him to sit through Salvation, which he liked pretty well, in spite of its being a Danish Western shot in South Africa. Personally, I wish we'd had more lions in the Old West, to eat up all those outlaws. Then there would be fewer of these movies, and more safari parks.

Freebie Film Tips #3 Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87863494

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more