Freebie Film Tip #12: Sherlock!

0 Conversations

Get out the popcorn. It's November.

Freebie Film Tip #12: Sherlock!

Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes.

Today we take a look at that most iconic of British detectives – no, not Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes. Holmes' first famous portrayer was, ironically, an American. Before you go any further, check out William Gillette playing Holmes. Before you criticise, remember that Arthur Conan Doyle licenced this version, and even declared that Gillette looked exactly like Holmes. Of course, everyone's got a favourite Sherlock.

Today's Short Subjects: I know who our favourite Sherlock is these days. He's a fellow named Cumberbatch. Usually, he's a thoroughly modern Sherlock, twittering his way through cases, but the Christmas preview this year holds out the promise of a 19th-century adventure involving Sherlock, Mrs Hudson, Mary, and Watson's mustache. We've even seen the shooting location videos on Youtube.

Gillette's play started the tradition that the theatrical Holmes was first bested by Irene Adler (or a stand-in such as Alice Faulkner), then, usually, fell in love with her. Back in the 1960s, there was even a musical version of the old story, called Baker Street. In this song, Holmes explains to Watson why he's not interested in girls. Which makes this version different from Gillette's? Not really. Irene wins him over in the end, mauve bustle and all.

Today's Feature Film: And now, the whole Gillette play in all its glory, as performed in the 1970s by Frank Langella. It's the same old play, but somehow, the lines read differently… I think you'll get a kick out of this melodrama.

And yes, yes, Awix reviewed the Ian McKellen version. Awix is also a major fan of the Basil Rathbone films. Does anybody enjoy Jonny Lee Miller in Elementary? The plots aren't exciting, but we have two words for you: Lucy. Liu.

We guess there'll always be a Sherlock Holmes, with or without mobile.

Peter Cushing, star of the BBC's 1968 series of Sherlock Holmes, with Nigel Bruce as Dr Watson.
Freebie Film Tips #3 Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87862990

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more