Cinema: a wonderful educational tool.
The Post Quiz: Bad Futures, Better Films
It's called 'dystopia' for a reason. Mostly because science fiction writers have a poor grasp of etymology. Anyway, you know what it is: a story based on what might go wrong if we actually put some of our nuttier ideas into practice for too long. Hijinks ensue.
Match these dystopian plot summaries to the films they describe. (No cheating on the imdb.)
- 1930s 'science' runs amok, and soon everybody's chewing sexy gum.
- The Commies win...the rats.
- Not trusting anyone over 30 leads to life in a shopping mall. Peter Ustinov and the cats inherit Washington.
- Mutual Assured Destruction lives up to its acronym.
- A trip to the future proves it: humanity can be replaced by better actors.
- Turn off the computer, and go outside. You might get stuck that way.
- Everybody's gone to other planets, and we're left behind with Rutger Hauer.
- The aliens show up. They look like giant Porktown Prawns, and the humans still haven't learned anything.
- We told NASA to keep an eye out for those pesky asteroids.
- Only book clubs can save the world. Has anyone notified Oprah?
- District 9
- Blade Runner
- Fahrenheit 451
- The Day After
- The Matrix
- Logan's Run
- Brave New World
- Planet of the Apes
Got 'em all? Are you worried yet? Check your answers by clicking on the reassuring picture below. (The heroes are winning.) Post Quiz and Oddities Archive
15.06.15 Front Page
Back Issue Page