Spoils of War: Declassified Outtakes from CRYPTOLOG

0 Conversations

Guess which war Your Editor is up to in the US History course? The one he thinks of as 'recent'. Also the one that makes him start singing protest songs under his breath. Yep, that one.

Okay, so in the 'now it can be told' department: the NSA – National Security Agency, whose recruiters we were warned against in the language departments, thus missing out on no doubt lucrative careers in the fast-paced world of snoopology, rather than becoming underpaid college professors – had its own magazine, who knew? Appropriately titled CRYPTOLOG. (Maybe they still do, who knows?) But some of the back issues have been declassified because the statute of limitations has run out, or something. And we get to read the parts the censor passed on archive.org. Goody.

These titbits are from 1975…an issue devoted entirely to Vietnam, for reasons that will become plain from the text. The cute editorial bit was put in to show that, gosh darn it, the NSA were obviously just a fun bunch of guys and gals.

Sic transit gloria mundi. (The spellchecker just tried to capitalise 'Gloria'. O tempora, o mores.) Yesterday's Evil Empire is today's tourist attraction. Oh, well.

Plus ultra

Declassified Outtakes from CRYPTOLOG

From CRYPTOLOG, Vol. II, No. 10 October 1975.

THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS CODEWORD MATERIAL

TOP SECRET

(Not any more.)

Except for short features, this entire issue is devoted to the Vietnam War and its significance to NSA achievements, failures, lessons learned, problems unresolved. The intent is to record the personal impressions of NSAers while those impressions are still fresh, even if painful, so that they can serve as a guide for future NSAers. Because the emphasis is on the personal and subjective, there are slight overlaps in the treatment of the same topic by different authors and slight differences of opinion.

While the articles in this issue cover a wide range of topics, they obviously do not exhaust the subject. Therefore the Publisher and Editorial Board of CRYPTOLOG continue to invite contributions documenting the role of NSA in the Vietnam War. Any such contributions that are accepted for publication will appear in future issues of CRYPTOLOG.

The NSA have trouble with their apostrophes.

Ed Note: There was a puzzle. Unfortunately, it is apparently still classified. Sorry, puzzle fans.

Wanted, a good home for Secret Stuff.

Now, aren't you grateful for the Freedom of Information Act? Oh, and Google Maps.

Spoils of War Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

15.06.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87855204

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more