Spoils of War: Hamilcar Gets a Nasty Surprise

0 Conversations

Almost all writing about war is to some extent fiction. (You mean they told their mothers what was really going on?) But GA Henty, the 19th-century British war correspondent, adventurer, and all-round imperialist, went further: he fictionalised wars throughout history – even the ones he was in personally. His plucky young heroes and heroines are still beloved of those who miss the Good Old Days.

In this account, Mr Henty has outdone himself by giving us a 'you are there' version of doings in ancient Carthage. (No, we don't think he had a tardis.)

We particularly enjoy the prose.

Hamilcar Gets a Nasty Surprise

John Leech's illustration reading, 'Hannibal, whilst even yet a child, swears eternal hatred to the Romans.

After seeing his detachment safely lodged in the barracks Hamilcar and his companions rode along the streets to the Barcine Syssite, or club1, one of the grandest buildings in Carthage. Throwing the reins of their horses to some slaves who stood in readiness2 at the foot of the steps, they entered the building. As they rode through the streets they had noticed that the population appeared singularly quiet and dejected, and the agitation which reigned in the club showed them that something unusual had happened. Groups of men were standing talking excitedly in the great hall3. Others with dejected mien4 were pacing the marble pavement. As Hamilcar entered, several persons hurried up to him.

"Welcome back again!" they exclaimed; "your presence is most opportune at this sad moment5."

"What has happened?" Hamilcar asked; "I have but this moment arrived, and rode straight here to hear the news of what has taken place in my absence6."

"What! have you not heard?" they exclaimed; "for the last four days nothing else has been talked of, nothing else thought of – Hasdrubal has been assassinated7!"

Hamilcar recoiled a step as if struck8.

"Ye gods9!" he exclaimed, "can this be so? Hasdrubal the handsome10, as he was well called, the true patriot, the great general, the eloquent orator11, the soul of generosity and patriotism, our leader and hope, dead! Surely it cannot be."

"It is too true, Hamilcar. Hasdrubal is dead – slain by the knife of an Iberian12, who, it seems, has for months been in his service, awaiting the chance for revenge for some injuries which his family or people have suffered from our arms.

"It is a terrible blow. This morning a swift sailing ship has arrived with the news that the army of Spain have with one voice acclaimed the young Hannibal as their general13, and that they demand the ratification of their choice by the senate and people. Need I tell you how important it is that this ratification should be gained14? Hanno and his satellites15 are furious, they are scattering money broadcast16, and moving heaven and earth17 to prevent the choice falling upon Hannibal, and to secure the appointment for Hanno himself or one of his clique18. They say that to appoint a youth like this to such a position would be a thing unheard of, that it would bring countless dangers upon the head of the republic. We know, of course, that what they fear is not the youth and inexperience, but the talent and genius of Hannibal19…"

From The Young Carthaginian: A Story of the Times of Hannibal, by G.A. Henty. 1887.

Spoils of War Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

08.06.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1We don't know what the dues were. Probably exclusive, though: only top-flight Carthaginians allowed.2What a boring job. Stand around all day waiting for generals to show up with horses.3Didn't the porter remind them that gentlemen's clubs were supposed to be quiet? Somebody might be reading the Times (of Carthage).4We have no picture of this mien, alas.5It is a well-known fact that Carthaginians routinely talked like this. This is probably what started the Punic Wars in the first place. Romans couldn't stand it.6His laptop was broken.7Nothing new under the sun, as the Romans said.8If he hadn't been a general, Hamilcar would have made a great actor. Think Henry Irving.9According to Wikipedia, this would be Baal and Co.10Lookists, too. Is there nothing new?11Probably stood out in this lot.12Iberian knives were particularly sharp, and probably came from Toledo.13Also handsome, no doubt. 14No, but you'll tell us, anyway.15Very technically advanced, the Carthaginians.16Wire transfers, no doubt.17Hey, wait a minute! Not even Bruce Willis can do that!18Hanno's clique all wear the same Nikes.19That, and the loss of opportunity for bribes from public officials…

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87854926

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more