Freebie Film Tip #28: Magician Superhero

0 Conversations

Freebie Film Tip #28: Magician Superhero

Yesterday's film was actually good. This one, not so much. But Mandrake the Magician, a deservedly unsuccessful TV pilot starring a stage magician, represents a milestone of sorts. It's the only time anybody tried to make a TV show out of what some believe to be the first comic book superhero. Mandrake is not an ordinary stage magician. Oh, no. He's from a magic kingdom. His dad is ancient. His main squeeze, Princess Narda, is from the European land of Cockaigne. His best friend, Lothar, is an African superhero prince. How an African superhero prince got the name Lothar is best taken up with the scriptwriters…

Anyhow, this thing is half an hour, but seems longer, trust me. It's not particularly well done, and reminds us unpleasantly of the kind of World War II spy movie in which the villain says, 'Ve haff vays of making you talk.' Nonetheless, it has some interest. After all, having an African American actor in such a prominent role in 1954 practically amounted to a political statement. And it's not the actors' fault the dialogue is so lame.

Getting 'magicians' – meaning those prestidigitator fellas who keep calling themselves that – onto TV has always been a goal of fans of the pursuit. In the early 1970s, Bill Bixby finally pulled it off for a short run. Once you've giggled over Mandrake, you might want to watch The Magician's pilot episode. Just follow the bouncing Youtube links after the first one. This series, too, is heavy on the fantasy and light on the meaningful content, but the girls are pretty and the magic tricks are authentic. In addition to being an actor, Bixby was a stage magician.

Speaking of 'magic' tricks, you might prefer to see a master at work. Paul Daniels does a great job here of reproducing Robert-Houdin's famous orange tree. It's stately and quite satisfying – and there are no bad guys around, just a nervous security guy from Cartier.

Jean Robert-Houdin, the French Marabout.
2014 Freebie Film Tips Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87844107

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more