Freebie Film Tip #23: A Mentalist in Trouble

0 Conversations

Freebie Film Tip #23: A Mentalist in Trouble

Another British film today. This one is The Clairvoyant, starring Claude Rains in a good-guy role, Fay Wray as his charming wife, no screaming, and Jane Baxter, a beautiful Bremen-born aristocrat whom Winston Churchill considered to be the epitome of British beauty. Although the story has a paranormal premise, it's basically a romance.

The plot, such as it is: Maximus and Renee are a happily married couple who do a mentalist act in musical halls. One night, the act goes badly, but Max accidentally discovers how to tap his real psychic powers. This results in fame, fortune, and a whole lot of trouble. They end up in court, eventually, so Wigs are involved. Eventually, it all gets sorted out. It's a well-written and well-acted little tale. Oh, and there's some great stock footage of Epsom Derby and some mining operations on the Humber.

This film shows how old the clairvoyance theme is in fiction. Think about the more recent films and TV series based on this premise: Medium, for example, or Stir of Echoes. The closest plot to this one, albeit without the romance, might be the 2010 Spanish film Red Lights, starring Robert de Niro and Sigourney Weaver.

The Clairvoyant is enjoyable – a good little popcorn movie.

EastEnders's Mo (Laila Morse) tries tarot.
2014 Freebie Film Tips Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87843810

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more