Padlocks of Love

0 Conversations

Depending on your geolocation you may have walked across a bridge recently that seems to have some art installation, or a type of weird encrustation smothering the ironwork.  If you stop and take a closer look, you'll find that the colourful decor has been provided by countless miniature padlocks, often engraved or individually marked somehow, and then permanently attached to the railings.

What on earth are they? And more importantly, what do they signify?

Padlocks of Love

The simple explanation is that the padlock symbolises never-ending love.  The couple choose a lock and add their name.  After they've firmly attached the lock to the bridge of their choice,  they throw the key into the water. The lock is a permanent reminder of their love for each other.

Once upon a time, lovers engraved their initials onto the bark of a tree, often inside the outline of a heart, sometimes with cupid's arrow going through it. Luckily for trees, at least, this tradition is  now less common than using a metal lock to symbolise your passion. Carrying a pocket penknife also used to be an acceptable practice. Knife carrying is now frowned on, so maybe it's less easy to carve a heart onto a tree.



to be cont'd

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87822543

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more