A Conversation for The Disney Princes

A87818971 - The Disney Princes

Post 21

SashaQ - happysad

I guess I should have known really, as they always have had "layers of emotional resonance" (superb phrase)

Bambi of course is the stereotypical sad film, but Pinocchio was a strange one that made me feel very deflated afterwards even though it wasn't supposed to be that bad (I think you may have mentioned something similar, or someone else). The Lion King I recognised the emotional parts, but they didn't affect me too much, but this film just hit my sore wound nicely, so I have an excuse...

I want to watch Frozen, but I really do need to steel myself for that, I think...


A87818971 - The Disney Princes

Post 22

Bluebottle

Page Turner:

Entry: The Disney Princes - A87818971
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

Neither I nor my kids have been particularly bothered about 'Bambi', I found it a bit dull and didn't particularly associate with the characters, who didn't seem to do a great deal. I love 'The Lion King' and cheer on Scar, who I think makes a great baddy played well by Jeremy Irons.
'Pinocchio' is quite scary for young children and not one I've let the kids watch. In it, lots of children are turned into donkeys and sold into slavery, and at the end, they're still enslaved donkeys. That's very dark, and not a happy ending by any stretch of the imagination.

Other people have different views and experiences, which is good - we're all individuals and so different things influence, impact and resonate on all of us differently.smiley - smiley

<BB<


A87818971 - The Disney Princes

Post 23

SashaQ - happysad

I wasn't that bothered about Bambi, either - I recall Flower was the most memorable character, but I agree they didn't do a great deal, so I haven't had the urge to watch it again since I was 8...

Scar is a strong character indeed smiley - ok

Ah, yes - your assessment of Pinocchio is a good one - no wonder I wasn't happy after I watched that when I was 7...


A87818971 - The Disney Princes

Post 24

SashaQ - happysad

I just remembered something else I learned in relation to this Entry after watching The Princess and the Frog - can we please have a footnote on Mincing? I like how it is dual meaning, but it does help to have the relevant meaning in, as I hadn't heard the word before in that context (is 'dicing' the British English equivalent?)

smiley - ok


A87818971 - The Disney Princes

Post 25

Bluebottle

I admit that I don't really do complicated food preparation. I had assumed that 'mincing' was a fairly recognised term for chopping stuff up into little bits, but I must admit was aware of the alternative meaning. A quick google search has implied that 'Chopping' is cutting stuff up and leaving big chunks, 'dicing' results in middle size chunks the same size and 'Mincing' results in little bits. My dictionary simply says 'mince – to cut into small pieces, to chop fine, to diminish, or suppress a part of. Mincing – preparation of mince: not speaking frankly or openly: speaking or walking with affected nicety'.

The articles in the Edited Guide that mention 'Mincing' are:

A22691306 Sweeney Todd - Coiffeur de Demon
A513578 John Esmonde and Bob Larbey - Comedy Writers
A10357832 Polari - the Secret Language
A2660609 The Years of Billy Joel's 'We Didn't Start The Fire' - 1952

I had expected lots of recipe entries to turn up in the search, but they didn't, so perhaps it isn't that familiar a term after all. Mind you only ten entries mention 'dicing' instead, while 61 mention 'chopping'.

Personally I like the ambiguity. As it is a film about a girl wanting to open a restaurant, is it a food term? Or, as he is a prince, does he talk with affected nicety, ie court language in Received Pronunciation? Or do frogs have a bit of a camp walk? (The answer: food preparation) . But there's no harm in having a little footnote, I suppose.smiley - smiley

<BB<


A87818971 - The Disney Princes

Post 26

SashaQ - happysad

Ah, that is educational about the different terms for cutting stuff up. My partner and I used to do cooking together, and I'd be tasked with chopping, as I could just about manage that, and then she'd sort out the dicing and/or mincing that was required, as her knife technique was much superior to mine, so I merely looked on in awe smiley - laugh

"speaking or walking with affected nicety" - that's a good way of putting it smiley - laugh (I've only heard the word in that sense used in quite an insulting manner...)

Thanks for the footnote smiley - ok


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 27

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 28

Bluebottle

Thanks everyone.smiley - wow

I did briefly consider writing a similar entry to be called 'The Disney Dogs', up until the point I remembered the existence of 'One Hundred and One Dalmations'...
Death by Disney overdose!

<BB<


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 29

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin

Congratulations!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 30

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 31

bobstafford

smiley - bubblysmiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post