The Road Show

1 Conversation

I love it when we have these discussions – you know, the ones that go, 'Hey, that's interesting. You have so many questions. . . ' 'Yeah, you could write a story about that. . . ' and that end with an email to the Post that starts, 'Damn you, Dmitri. . . '

Florida Sailor and I had one of those discussions. Here's his wonderful story. – DG.

The Road Show'

This moving theatre was built around 1920.

It was Saturday. As Jonathan stirred to consciousness he realized that he would have the whole day to explore the city. It had only been a few months since his family had left their home in the country and he had been too shy to meet any new friends. Maybe today would be different!

He dressed, and after a quick breakfast he went out into the street. The winter snow had almost gone, in a few more weeks, they said, the cherry blossoms would mark the start of spring. The streets were like canyons with the tall line of buildings on each side forming the walls. Should he trudge to the river bank, or go to the long park-like mall? In the end he decided to just wander the neighbourhood, and look into the shop windows dreaming that someday he could afford some of the wonderful items on display. It was then he heard the rumble of a large motor-truck on the next block. Was it a moving van bringing in a new family? he decided to investigate, perhaps they would have a boy of his own age!

When he sighted the truck it was unlike anything he had ever seen before. a large number of grown-ups were scurrying about placing boards and curtains around the truck's bed. As small group of musicians began to play and children started to assemble around it. Curious, but reluctant to commit himself he remained in the background.

At last a large tent with the flaps closed had been constructed over the rear of the truck. All the adults disappeared inside while the band began to play an overture. Jonathan found himself being drawn forward by an invisible force until he found himself at the edge of the crowd. The music reached a crescendo when a small, balding man emerged from the tent and began to speak in a loud clear voice. He spoke about a long dead king of England, and the troubles that threatened his people.

As he stepped aside the tent flaps were pulled back and revealed the king sitting on his throne! The actors and actresses began to recite their well practised lines and M Street was plunged into the middle ages. Jonathan watched for what seemed to be hours when his keen sense of hearing detected a distracting noise behind him. He turned and spotted a photographer setting up a large camera on a tripod. He tapped the shoulder of the girl who stood next to him and just pointed at the camera behind them. She whispered to her sister, who also passed the word down the line. When the photographer at last snapped his 'candid' shot Jonathan and his four new friends were all facing the camera.

It is strange how a random, chance, moment can change your entire life.

A middle aged man would walk down M Street years later, accompanied by his wife of of twenty-plus years, a little girl who's shoulder he had tapped so long ago. As they past that empty spot on the street – did they remember the old actors?

The Post General Features Archive

Florida Sailor

04.03.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87786328

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more