Writing Right With Dmitri: Dialoguing

1 Conversation

Words, words, words. That's what we're made of. Herewith some of my thoughts on what we're doing with them.

Writing Right with Dmitri: Dialoguing

A man in green with a feather in one hand and drawing a theatre curtain with the other

What is dialogue? It's people talking – to each other, it is hoped.

Why do they do it? Because you can't see people on a page. Oh, sure, you can describe them, but if they don't talk, you might as well be writing an essay. Mime is a bit difficult in prose. Think how boring it would be if you wrote:

Abbott and Costello were standing on a stage, in front of a set resembling a baseball diamond. Costello was wearing a baseball uniform with the fake college letters 'PU'. Costello wanted to know about the baseball team Abbott was managing. Abbott responded that his team was very good, but that the players had odd names. Abbott explained that Who was on First, What was on Second, and I Don't Know was on Third. Costello became frustrated and annoyed at his inability to understand the names of the fielders, but positively angry when he was informed that the Pitcher was Tomorrow and the Catcher Today...1

Not very satisfying, is it? Better put the words in the characters' mouths. Let them do the work. But how?

Building Rapport

COSTELLO
Hey, Abbott.
ABBOTT
Now, why do you always start the dialogue like that?
COSTELLO
Like what?
ABBOTT
Like wha..? Like that. 'Hey, Abbott.' Why not something else?
COSTELLO
Oh, I dunno...maybe I just like the sound of your name. Besides, then the readers know who I'm talking to.
ABBOTT
You're talking to my first baseman?
COSTELLO
Now don't start that again!

You get the drift.

Hard to tell the players without some labels. But how much to tell, how much to leave to the reader's imagination?

Bud Abbott folded his long satin caftan and adjusted his turban with an air of satisfaction. 'Lou, my boy, we have landed in clover here in the Sultanate of Lurekistan. We're in high cotton.'


Lou, reclining on an Ottoman (who didn't seem to mind), wiggled his toes in his jewelled sandals. 'Which is it, clover or cotton? I can't see nothin' green out the window. All that's out there is sand, sand, and more sand.'


'The sands of time run slowly in the Sahara,' cooed a melodious voice from the arabesque doorway. An 18-inch cigarette holder preceded its owner into the room. The complete vision involved a be-sequined and slinky brunette with a Persian cat under one arm. As Costello's sandals shook with the force of his double-take, Madame Lasagne commanded, 'Peel me a grape, El Viro.'

A little background helps, we suspect. Notice that this way, you can slip in an extra character or two without much work on your part. Let them bring their own props.

What If We Leave Out the Labels?

There is, of course, the minimalist approach:

'Hey, Abbott.'


'What, Lou?


'Where are we? I can't see nothin'.'


'You can't see anything.'


'That's what I said. I can't see nothin'.'


'Lou, that's the difference between you and me. I try to improve myself. Whereas you go around being an uneducated lout.'


'Who you callin' a lout? Why, I'd punch you in the nose. If I could see it.'


'Excuse me, huh, huh. Has either of your gennilmun got a light? Huh, huh. I think I'm afraid of the dark...'


'Hey, Abbott. Who is that?'


'I'm Peter Lorre. I'm about to introduce a new plot element. If I can find the light switch. But, Mr Abbott, may I point out that you should be glad Mr Costello always starts his dialogues with 'Hey, Abbott'? Huh, huh. Then you know he's not me...'

That's enough of that. Minimalist dialogue probably needs a minimal cast. And a less feeble attempt to indicate inflection.

Let THEM Tell the Story..Wait...

Finally, there is the consideration of how much idiot dialogue you can foist on your characters. Let's go back to Lurekistan.

Madame Lasagne blinked languidly as she took Costello's place on the Ottoman, eating her grape slowly and seductively. Abbott studied her through narrowed eyes, as Costello set the cat down near a mousehole.


'There,' he said. 'Earn your keep.'


Abbott crossed his arms. 'Alright, lady, out with it. What are you doing here? What are you planning?'


The minx crossed her legs, making the Ottoman shift a bit. 'Gentlemen,' she purred, 'I have a proposition to our mutual benefit. You may be aware that the Sultan of Lurekistan has three daughters. Their names are Ma, Maha, and Mahali. Now, Ma is in love with the eldest son of the Sharif of Coffeyin, whose name is Aladdin. Aladdin, however, is quite a lad. He already has 3,000 girlfriends on the internet. To make things worse, Aladdin is flirting on Facebook with Maha and Mahali. Ma doesn't know this, but her faithful servant Minihaha does. To solve the problem, Minihaha has put up her own Facebook page, and is masquerading as Aladdin's younger brother, Saladoil. Saladoil hates Facebook, and is only interested in playing fantasy games. Anyway, as Saladoil, Minihaha is busy disliking everything Aladdin puts up, which is causing a severe crisis in the palace at Coffeyin...'

Costello interrupted. 'Hey, lady, can we go back to the baseball game? This is givin' me a headache.'

Abbott shushed him. 'Shush. Your turban's on too tight. Go on, Madame. I'm all ears...'

Well, you get the general idea.

For Further Reading

The management recommends the following dialogues for their edifying content and elegant form:

Until next week, talk among yourselves...smiley - run

Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

09.01.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Although this paragraph is mine, the original dialogue can be found here.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87733182

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more