The Art of Running a Tabletop Roleplaying Game

0 Conversations

WORK IN PROGRESS

Scenarios and Adventures

From the simple hack and slash dungeon crawl to the Machiavellian intrigues of a royal court every good roleplaying game session needs a scenario to drive it.

Campaigns

A campaign is a series of more-or-less linked scenarios, often with the aim of taking the characters from relative obscurity all the way to saving the world.

Settings

Whether your making it up as you go along or using a published game world a good setting is vital to any decent roleplaying game.

The Forgotten Realms campaign setting for Dungeons and Dragons is an excellent example of a diverse and complex world that successfully combines fantasy cliches with original ideas.

What You Will Need

  • A copy of all necessary rulebooks.
  • At least two of any dice necessary for playing the game.
  • A neat and easy-to-follow copy of the scenario you are running1.
  • A notepad.
  • A pencil.
  • A pencil sharpener.
  • A rubber2.

These represent the bare minimum any good GM should have at every session they run. Even if you're planning on bringing a laptop with everything needed for the game on it, you should still bring most of the things on that list because you never know when you might need to pass a note to a player, or if someone might have forgotten their copy of the rules3.

Describing The Action

This is a lot more important than many give it credit for. The simple fact is that just reeling off a list of dice roll results is boring, it's much better to describe those results in exciting terms that give a real sense of action.

Compare:

Your roll of 18 was enough to hit the orc and [pause] 4 points of damage was enough to finish it off.

With:

You swing your battleaxe into a gap in the orc's armour and with a crunch of bone you swiftly send the creature to whatever hell awaits it.

Taking this one step further is the 'begin and end with the fiction' principle. This encourages actions to be described rather than simply rolled for, where a good, detailed description plus the response from the Games Master can replace the dice rolling and stat lookups entirely, turning the experiene into pure roleplay.

However you approach it the importance of good descriptive monologues cannot be overstated; this is how you engage your players' interest and keep hold of it.

Immersion and Setting the Atmosphere

This is strongly linked with the above. A casual 'pizza and beer' dungeon-bash does not need much immersion, usually, but if you're running a low-combat horror game it's difficult to keep things going if the players (and you, for that matter) are getting destracted by inappropriate background music, chatting about what happened on Game of Thrones, or flicking through the rulebook4.

The right lighting and a few simple props can help immensely with getting everyone in the right mood and properly immersed. Instead of illuminating the table with a 60-watt ceiling light, try having a couple of standard lamps nearby with a few candles on the table itself5. If you can, have an MP3 player or laptop handy with a few appropriate pieces and sound effects chosen for the setting. Quiet, eerie ambient music sets things up well for a journey to a spooky castle, but would not work if you're trying to run a modern vampire game with a scene set in a loud nightclub.

Dos and Don'ts

1This is especially true of self-written scenarios. This Researcher has attempted to run games using hastily scrawled notes and it never goes well.2Eraser.3Some GMs consider it bad form to 'allow' the players to have their own rulebooks. Many more think that's silly and selfish.4Tip: don't spend a game session flicking through the rulebook. Ever.5Remembering, of course, that with all the paper lying around these will become a fire hazard.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87714688

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more