Owasso, Oklahoma, USA

2 Conversations

For Tulsa Reference A548101
and the Tulsa Peer Reveiw page F48874?thread=215169

Owasso, Oklahoma, USA:
Owasso is a small city, suburb to Tulsa Oklahoma. It is about 8 miles North of Tulsa, 3 South of Collinsville on US Highway 169. Owasso was the 27th largest city and the number one fastest growing city in Oklahoma according to the 2000 census. It lies mostly in Tulsa County, with a small bit lying in Rogers County acquired in 2001.

Points of Interest:
Actually a typical small town, it has a small Historical Society and not much else. However, if golfing is your game there are two courses to be had, one Bailey Ranch Golf Ranch and The Greens at Owasso.
WorldCom and WhirlPool occupy the Cherokee Industrial District to the SW of the town. Not to forget Bama Foods (they make the little pies for McDonald's), the Tulsa Police Department training center, Hyspan, Honeywell, Nordam and Sabre.

Restaurants:
Chilies, Rib Crib, and a few come-and-go restaurants, the major food industry here is Pizza, with a whopping 3 competing companies, all chains. Papa John's, Pizza Hut, and Mazzio's offer delivery, where as Mazzio's and Pizza Hut also offer dine in. Also, St. Louis Bread, McAllister's Deli and, for the best BBQ in Owasso, Legends, at German Corner, are all there. For Mexican food in Owasso, Mexico Lindo's is recommended.
There is also a bar just North of 116 on Garnet; it is on the East side, a bit smoky and country-ish though.


Sports and Rec:
The local High School Football Team offers a state of the art stadium, for the size of the city, and should, considering that is where most of the school's Money goes. A swimming pool, run by YMCA, provided the sole summer entertainment outside the larger Tulsa's. Owasso recently got a Movie Theatre, which moved into an old Food Lion Grocery Store. The Super Wal-Mart provides a nice hangout for wannabe mall rats. There are 3 small neighborhood parks within the city limits.

Access:
US Highway 169 runs through the center of town, with State Highway 20 grazing the Northern limits and State Highway 75 to the West. Highway 20 joins up with highway 169 in heading up towards Collinsville, narrowly missing the deadliest intersection in Oklahoma by less than a half-mile. Highway 20 goes east to Claremore, going down the locally infamous Keatonville Hill, be particularly careful when driving this stretch of road. Highway 169, often choked with traffic, goes south to Tulsa, it is best to avoid this road during the rush hours of 7 to 10 AM and 4 to 7 PM. Highway 75 is a little used road, well maintained and particularly spotless, I recommend using this highway if coming from West Tulsa, Downtown, or the Airport, and frequently use it as a stepping stone into Tulsa during traffic periods, usually getting into Tulsa before jamming, if it jams at all.

As for Owasso streets, there are 3 major East-West roads, 76th, 86th and 96th Streets, and two major north-south streets, 129th East Avenue and Old 169, or Garnet Road. No major commercial places lie off of the north south streets, but most major housing editions have at least one out let onto them. All major commercial areas are on the east west streets.

City Information:
Although Old Owasso has named streets running north south and numbered streets running east west, this system is handy for less than 2 square miles of the 10 square mile town. The Owasso School District covers 82 miles in Tulsa and Rogers Counties, and has over 6,300 in student population, which is barely enough to knock it into the 6A sports category. The aforementioned Bailey Golf Ranch is crammed into a three quarter square mile upper middle class housing division and has a small tunnel leading under 86th Street to a few holes scattered about a large pond, the pond is surrounded by a upper class high dollar housing addition. The pond frequently dries out in the summer, not giving much more than a mud obstacle instead of the usual water obstacle. The Greens is attached to a large (for the town) low price apartment complex, and is "civilizing" a wood that lay untouched for upwards of 50 years.
Most of Owasso and the surrounding countryside are residential. The school district consists of about eighty separate housing additions, at least 10 of which cover most of an entire mile section individually.

Owasso is a nice hometown, but it lacks in the entertainment category for children and teens.

Thanks go to Emee, U205821, for helping update this.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A859908

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more