Practical Extraction and Report Language - Perl CGI

0 Conversations

Perl CGI Programming

Perl is a language optimized for scanning text files, extracting information, and printing reports based on that information. It's also a pritty good language for many linux and unix system management tasks, like Bash. but this artical will focus on what Perl has become for the internet. CGI or Common Gateway Interface allows this scripting lanuage to interface with webpages and produce server side suport for generating web pages.

You'll find most Websites suport perl, it's usualy in the form or a Perl Modual that plugs into an Apache Webserver, The webserver usualy just sits there and provides HTML pages and other content to flow to a user from the server. But when you plug perl into it, the Webserver will send any cgi scripts first to the perl interpriter and then return the output of the perl interpriter as the HTML page.


Contents


Before you begin

Running the Script

Data types and Syntax

Flow Control

Printing to the Screen

String Functions

Arithmetics

Reading Files

Procedures

Subroutines


Under Contruction

-- DoctorMO --

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A845066

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more