Godzilla

1 Conversation

Godzilla movies are pure escapism. They depict a giant fire-breathing lizard called Godzilla (played by a man in a suit) who is sometimes aggressive toward humans, sometimes not, who often get's into fights with other giant monsters. The movies are Japanese, although an horrendous CGI'd American version was made.

CGI? Pah! We're talking men in rubber suits all the way here.

Tri Star's ill-conceived 1998 remake of 'Godzilla' has unfortunately sullied the public's opinion of the big green lizard. 'Godzilla' movies aren't renowned for their heavy plotting or magnificent acting but that was ridiculous! However 'Godzilla' has existed for over 45 years and I should think can survive this one setback.

'Godzilla'was a product of Japanese feelings towards the Americans. After World War II Japan was occupied by the Americans who regulated the cinema and censored any anti-American sentiments in its output. Writer Shigeru Kayama created the original film , 'Gojira',for 'Toho' Studios in 1954 as an allegory to shock the visitors. It was a dark, downbeat film about the destruction of Japanese cities as a result of A-bomb attacks by the West and the continuing use of Japanese waters by the Americans for nuclear testing. The destruction of Tokyo, as depicted by director Inoshiro Honda, is equal to that of Nagasaki and Hiroshima and the scenes of the aftermath are as morbid as any documentary of nuclear holocaust.

In the film a number of shipping vessels are destroyed by an unknown force and panic grips Japan. The cause is a creature of immense size created by radiation poisoning, which can breathe atomic fire from its mouth. The monster, named Gojira (a cross between gorilla and the Japanese for whale, kujira) makes its way to Tokyo leaving a trail of devastation in its wake. Gojira totally destroys Tokyo and in the process is discovered to be almost totally immune to any methods of retaliation. At the end though a Japanese scientist saves the day by using a device known as the 'oxygen destroyer' to reduce the monster to a pile of bones.

It's a simple enough storyline and one oft-used in western cinema. However, director Honda manages to create a masterpiece with limited budget and simple special effects (such as the famous rubber suit for the monster). Extra scenes were spliced in with Raymond Burr as an American news reporter and the film was released with great success in the west as 'Godzilla-King of the Monsters'. Unlike the monster movies that followed 'Gojira'delivered a genuine feeling of despair and horror and the added American footage did not detract from this. 'Gojira' set the stage for many more monster movies to come.

'Gojira No Gyakushyu'('Godzilla's Counterattack' or 'Gigantis : The Fire Monster') was actually a fairly worthy sequel which further elaborated on the origins of Godzilla whilst having him fight a monster named Angurus. Unfortunately this was the only Godzilla film to do this. In 1963 Toho released 'King Kong vs. Godzilla', an extremely shoddy affair with pathetic story, lacklustre action and laughable monster suits. Predictably it was a huge hit.

Toho continued in this vein for 12 years with films like 'Godzilla Vs. the Three Headed Monster'; pairing Godzilla up against various other Toho monsters such as 'Mothra'and 'Rodan'in what amounted to little more than thinly-disguised wrestling matches. With Godzilla becoming a 'good-guy'the series played more and more for the younger audience and, whilst being fun to watch, quickly paled in comparison to the magnificent original movie.

After 1975's 'Terror of MechaGodzilla' Toho had a break for 9 years. They resurrected the giant iguana in 'Godzilla 1984' which was a direct sequel to the original and once again had Godzilla as a villain. The success of this film brought about a whole new series with much tighter plotting and scripts coupled with great special effects (1991's 'Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah'standing up well against many big-budget western science fiction).

In 1995, with the Tri Star deal done, Toho brought the series to an end with 'Godzilla Vs. Destroyah'where the monster is finally killed off as his 'inner nuclear fire'goes into meltdown and he dissolves away. Hopefully though Toho will bring him back again because Godzilla movies are pure escapism ; they require no use of your brain yet are incredible fun whilst not being stupid. The Americans have shown that they cannot 'do'Godzilla so the Japanese should do it for them. After all, the monster was created as an 'up yours'to America in the first place.


******Since I wrote this, Toho have retaken the Godzilla crown, with the release of Godzilla 2000: Millenium and two other subsequent offerings. Yay!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A Toho Godzilla Filmography (Japanese title first)

Gojira (1954)
Godzilla, or Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Gojira no gyakushu (1955)
Gigantis the Fire Monster, or Godzilla Raids Again, or Godzilla's Counterattack

Kingukongu tai Gojira (1962)
King Kong vs. Godzilla

Mosura tai Gojira (1964)
Godzilla vs. the Giant Moth, or Godzilla vs. the Thing

San daikaijû: Chikyu saidai no kessen (1964)
Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster

Kaijû daisenso (1965)
Monster Zero, or Invasion of the Astro-Monster

Gojira-Ebira-Mosura: Nankai no daiketto (1966)
Big Duel in the North, or Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, or Gozilla Versus the Sea Monster

Kaijûtô no kessen: Gojira no musuko (1967)
Son of Godzilla

Kaijû sôshingeki (1968)
Destroy All Monsters, or Operation Monsterland

Gojira Fuantajî ~SF Kôkyô Fuantajî~ (1969)
All Monsters Attack, or Godzilla's Revenge

Gojira tai Hedora (1971)
Godzilla vs. Hedorah, or Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster

Chikyu kogeki meirei: Gojira tai Gaigan (1972)
Godzilla on Monster Island, or Godzilla vs. Gigan

Gojira tai Megaro (1973)
Godzilla vs. Megalon

Gojira tai Mekagojira (1974)
Godzilla vs. Bionic Monster, or Godzilla vs. Cosmic Monster, or Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

Gojira (1984)
Godzilla 1985, or The Return of Godzilla

Gojira tai Biorante (1989)
Godzilla vs. Biollante

Gojira VS Kingugidora (1991)
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Gojira VS Mosura (1992)
Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth, or Godzilla vs. Mothra

Gojira VS Mekagojira (1993)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, or Godzilla vs. Super-Mechagodzilla

Gojira VS Supesugojira (1994)
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla

Gojira VS Desutoroia (1995)
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, or Godzilla vs. Destroyah, or Godzilla vs. Destroyer

Gojira ni-sen mireniamu (1999)
Godzilla 2000: Millennium

Gojira tai Megagirasu: Jii Shômetsu Sakusen (2000)
Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus: The G Annihilation Strategy

Gojira, Mosura, Kingu Gidora: Daikaijû soukougeki (2001)
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A838352

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more