Surviving Egos: a Guide to Film Festivals

0 Conversations

Culled from my personal experiences at the SideWalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama, U.S.A., from September 20 through the 22 of 2002, I hope to tell the novice (like myself) how to best survive a film festival.

Some film festivals will provide the name of a sponsor hotel where most of the filmmakers might be staying. It is a good idea to try to get a room there as well…you never know what will happen. Just be fully aware that the hotel my not be the best in the world and probably not worth the money paid to stay there, no matter how many roommates you have to cut the costs.

Also, make sure you have plenty of film and batteries. You will want pictures of the area to remember the time you spent there or of the filmmakers in attendance. Keeping this in mind, also note that the filmmakers and the actors there are human beings just like you. There's a time for picture taking and autograph seeking and there's a time for privacy. Do not follow the actors and filmmakers without their permission…it isn't cool.

Also know that you may have read just about every interview an actor or filmmaker has done and have seen everything they've ever done, even met them a few times before…that doesn't mean they're comfortable with you hanging all over them. Back off. It's rude. You're a fan and one among many, not a friend…even if they remember your name.

A note for any actors (or anyone with a security guard...): don't be afraid to use your security guard if things get too personal or too crushing. That is what they're there for. We want you to have a good time and have a good time with us fans.

Keep in mind that egos run rampant in film festivals for both filmmakers and attendees alike. Some of the actors and filmmakers have good enough people around them to keep their feet on the ground and their head on their shoulders...while some attendees have undeservedly big egos and attitudes to match. Don't get offended, just laugh at them (not with them) and keep going about your merry business.

If you can, do a little research on the area. Note how early things close there, what the average temperature is like and keep an eye on the Weather Channel so you can pack accordingly. Things in Birmingham close very early, but even when things were open there was nothing to do within walking distance of the hotel besides see the films.

Also, make note of time zones. I wasn't sure until I arrived that I had left my time zone and it kind of messed me up, even if I had actually gained an hour. It's disconcerting to arrive an hour early for a movie... ;)

Should things happen to close early in the town you're going to visit, try to rent a car or bring a friend along to drive if you cannot. That way you can at least have something more to do at night than drink. ;) Some hotels have a car service that will drive you some place, but it's up to you to get yourself back.

It's always a good idea to take friends with you anyway, to alieviate the boredom factor…uh, well, hopefully anyway…

If there's a certain movie there that you're dying to see, scout the theatre by seeing a movie in it the day before. That way you can find out if the audio is any good and if there is just one section that is the most perfect of them all in respects to Q&A and viewing. Then, the day of the screening arrive early to claim your seat, especially if you think it's going to be crowded.

At the screening of Chance, Amber Benson did a Q&A session after the movie on stage-right. I knew this would happen because I attended the previous day's screening of Funny Ha Ha and knew where the Q&A would be held. As such, I sat three rows back and towards stage-left so I could avoid too many microphone-up-the-nose pictures while still having a comfortable view of the screen.

Research always pays off. Walk around the city. Talk to other festival goers about the places they've been in the city. Talk to the folks at the front desk of the hotel you're staying in.

Above all else, be careful. There were at least six car accidents in Birmingham during the five days I was there. Several of my friends were almost hit by drivers who ran red lights or were crossing against the light. There are a lot of unsavoury types in the world, it doesn't matter where you are - don't give out your personal information. The buddy system is wonderful. Try to not go places by yourself. Very bad.

Enjoy yourself...when are you actually going to be in that area again? Look around and take it all in with a smile and think "I'm not home...I'm here watching movies and interacting with actors and directors. Rock on!"

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A837786

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more