The Cryptozoo

0 Conversations


Greetings brave adventurer, and welcome to the Cryptozoo! This is home to some of cryptozoology's strange subjects. What's Cryptozoology I hear you ask. Well, it means Crypto (hidden) Zoo (animals) ology (the study of) - The study of hidden animals! Prepare to be amazed as you wander the paths between the paddocks, and keep your eyes peeled for the unexpected!

The Exhibits

The Thylacine


This is not so much a mystery animal, as one that shouldn't be here. In amongst the Autralian scrub, you may catch a glimpse of this wolf-like animal. Look at the wolfish head, and the dark stripes across the back and down the thick, stiff tail. Remember, this is not like any wolf, she is a marsupial, like a kangaroo, with a pouch to raise her young. The Thylacine, or Tasmanian Tiger-Wolf, went extinct in 1936, when 'Ben' , the last one died. Since then there have been sightings all over Tasmania, even some on mainland Australia. This has brought it to the attention of Cryptozoologists, who are on a quest to see if it still survives in remote areas.

Keeper:Smilodon Prefect

El Chupacabra


One of the more obscure residents, its name translates as "Goat-Sucker", due to the fact that all its victims (mostly goats or chickens) are drained of all blood throught two holes on the neck. Coming from latin America, El Chupa, has been likened to a vampiristic kangaroo, with a row of spines along its back. No-one knows for sure what it is, and many suggestions have been made, from a native animal driven from its natural habitat, to escaped genetic experiment, and even an extra-terrestrial visitor! No photographs are known to exist, the only evidence being eyewitness stories, and its gruesome leftovers.

Keeper:Post Vacant

The Sasquatch


A very famous creature here. More commonly known as Bigfoot, Sasquatch (the Native American name) was thrown into the limelight in the 60s when Roger Pattison shot that now famous piece of film at Bluff Creek. It only lasts about 15 seconds, but it has thrown up a lot of controversy. Some say that the film is of a man in a suit, but it must be a very good suit, because muscles can be seen moving under the skin. If you watch the film, you can also tell that the sasquatch was a female. The sasquatches closest relative must be the Yeti. It seems likely that both evolved from Gigantopithecus, a huge ape from Asia, known only from the fossil record.

Keeper:Post Vacant

Nessie


Look out across the water and you may see a long neck arching out. This is Nessie, probably the world's most famous cryptid! She inhabits the the huge lake, or loch, Ness in Northern Scotland. According to descriptions, she most resembles a plesiosaur, a large extinct marine reptile, with 4 paddle-like flippers and a long neck. Creatures like this are seen all over the world's oceans, so Nessie may just be one individual who became stuck in the Loch. She eats fish and other water creatures. Many photos and film footage has been taken of her, but so far, there has been no hard evidence. But that won't stop people from looking!

Keeper:Post Vacant

The Beast of Bodmin


It is best to be quiet around this animal, as he is immensely shy. He is a large black panther, who probably escaped from a private collection in the 1960s. Many others like him, pumas, cheetahs, lynxes and black jaguars, have also been sighted across britain, most recently a pair of panthers in South Wales. Even though some have been run over or shot, the Government still deny their existence. And now, it seems, that some of the cats are breeding. Both, lynxes and pumas have been seen with cubs in tow. It seems that next time you take a walk on Bodmin Moor, you's better keep a sharp lookout!

Keeper:Post Vacant


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A817977

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more