Magrathea's Workshop - Template

0 Conversations

21st June 2011 - We interrupt your browsing with some welcome news:

The BBC have confirmed the success of the three-way bid by Robbie Stamp, the Community Consortium and Noesis.

When you read what's on the Magrathea pages and the conversations here, please remember that they were written while the bid was being worked on, so some things have changed.

We now return you to your original programming

This page is a template for the pages in Magrathea's workshop and contains instructions for the volunteers who are co-ordinating the discussions and preparing the documents on each topic.

How to use the template

Name pages in the workshop using the following naming convention:

Magrathea's Workshop - Topic

Start the three key threads with the following subjects lines

  • Magrathea's Workshop - Topic - Situation As-Is
  • Magrathea's Workshop - Topic - Design To-Be
  • Magrathea's Workshop - Topic - the document

Copy and paste the GML below into a new page, keep the headers and subheaders and replace the text in italics with your own text about the subject. The page on the Guidelines is an example of how to use this template.

Add in links to your your document and to existing help pages and other relevant pages and threads into the correct places in this page.

Sign the page with your name and add your User ID as an author

It's best to wait until discussion on the topic's settled down before creating the page, but of course some topics never will settle down...

Mrs Zen / a broad called Ben

About this page

This page is one of several pages compiled by the Community Consortium in Magrathea's workshop. It links to the [link to word document] To-Be documentation on this topic. We've prepared them in MS Office because we may need to compile them into a larger document and share them with people outwith h2g2.

Read the document linked above and comment on it in the threads below.

Scope

Describe the topic and what needs to be done.

Where we are now

Link to existing Help Pages and any other information about the As-Is situation.

What's already been said on the subject

Link to Pages and Conversations where the To-Be designs have already been discussed. Summarise the discussions and why we are using the summary as our starting point

How do we describe this, then?

List the topics that need to be covered in the To-Be designs and describe the format of the final document(s).

How to use Magrathea's workshop

We take as our starting point what has already been said and done on this topic, but there may still be differences of opinion, of course. We hope to reflect a consensus, but occasionally we'll have to go with the majority opinion.

The threads attached to this entry

All the pages in Magrathea's workshop have the same basic structure and at least the same three threads:

  • one about how it works now
  • one where we discuss how we want it to be
  • one where we discuss the document itself

We may ask the Editors to move relevant threads to these pages if they are on topic. And of course you can start a thread on the page yourself.

We are working to a time-table which will be dictated by the BBC's timetable for disposing of the site. We'll make an announcement on each page when we think the document is nearly done, and again when it's finished.

We've said it before, and we'll say it again - Don't Panic!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A81602552

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more