Niobrara Valley Preserve Bison, Nebraska, USA

0 Conversations


'The 54,000 acres (21,853 hectares) Niobrara Valley Preserve is located along the Niobrara River and north edge of the Sand Hills in northcentral Nebraska near Johnstown. The first bison herd was initiated in the winter 1985-86 and the second during the summer of 1999 by purchase of bison from private and federal sources. The two herds totaling 380-head currently occupy 11,000 acres (4,452 hectares) of sandhills prairie, northern mixed-grass prairie, and riparian woodland-grassland communities in the Niobrara Valley. Plans call for an ultimate herd of 500-head on 20,000 acres (8,094 hectares) by the year 2005. Randomly selected growing and dormant season prescribed burns are used to improve seasonal forage quality and to provide a mosaic of landscape patches that maintains biotic diversity.'

Acknowledgements


This article is a lightly edited reproduction of source material provided to docents of the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve by The Nature Conservancy for dissemination to the public.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A813214

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more