DISC JOCKEYS (DJs)

1 Conversation

Contrary to the literal meaning, a Disc Jockey is not a vertically-challenged, under-developed person riding a thin circular plate at a race course. They are in fact music co-ordinators at social gatherings.



Born as quite normal individuals, at some time during their transition into adolescence they develop an inflated ego with extreme over-confidence and an excess of self-esteem. They soon realise that the only place for them is at the centre of attention where it is “really happening”.



The original Disc Jockey uniform of brightly coloured satin shirt teamed with contrasting skin-tight flared trousers has been dropped for a more “street wise” look. They are now generally called MCs (Masters of Ceremony) and have escalated to an admired position in the realms of young social society.



Sadly, despite the clearly defined guidelines on age limits in the job description, there are many who carry on their craft well past their sell-by date. Such individuals cannot be found in the places normally associated with modern MCs, but will often be spotted at children’s parties, Golden Wedding celebrations and Seventies revivals.



A few of the much-loved “elder statesmen” of their profession have been treated more compassionately by society and given jobs doing voice-overs for documentaries and commercials. However, the majority of those that accept their obsolescence manage (with counselling) to suppress their self-esteem, retrain and quietly slip into normal jobs.



Pip


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A80894

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more