Ironworkers

2 Conversations

Short Background

Ironworkers is a time honored heavy construction job. It is the job title of a special breed of men and women who appear to have an aptitude for working at extreme heights and at extreme ranges of environmental conditions. Ironworking came into being during the late 19th Century on the planet Earth in the Sol system during the development of high rise construction (high rise construction at that time consisted of 3 to 6 stories or levels). Most ironworking at that time was made up of built-up steel beams utilized to reinforce block and brick construction. In the 20th century the usage of column and beam structural supports came into general practice. Better methods of manufacturing rolled steel beams and utilizing connections made using formed rivets allowed for stronger structures and allowed for heights over 6 stories. In later years different forms of connecting fasteners were developed such as tensioned bolts and welded "moment" connections as well as stronger metal alloys were placed into production. These developments in the technology of construction allowed buildings to attain much greater heights. It was not uncommon to find buildings with 60 stories or more which in essence had all of the amenities of a small city integrated into the building complex. These buildings were quite impressive and a major source of pride for the populace of each country that they were built in. This is one reason why they were often targeted by terrorist activities in the late 20th and early 21st Centuries (Earth standard era). One such famous terrorist attack took place on September 11, 2001 on the World Trade Center, New York City, New York, USA (this researcher will not go into detail on such events as they are covered in detail elsewhere in the Guide).

Scope of Work

Ironworkers toiled in extreme weather conditions such as extreme hot and cold (although they seldom worked in rain or heavy snow). It was not uncommon to see ironworkers chipping ice from beams and decking in order to work at a modest amount of safety (note: modest to an ironworker seems to mean extremely dangerous to the average human). These men and women often carried anywhere from 40 to 80 pounds of tools and material on workbelts while working at extreme heights. Typically ironworkers consisted of men and women who were more or less on the fringes of society. Many of the Native American descent went into the ironworking trade in the larger cities and the rumor that Native Americans were not afraid of heights proliferated in the construction trade due to this practice. Due to the issue of working at heights the ironworking trade was considered one of the more dangerous occupations in the late 19th, 20th and early 21st centuries. Ironworkers were also responsible for laying the decking (both floor and roof) onto the structures before the actual placement of concrete or other floor and roofing applications. Ironworkers also were skilled in machinery moving utilizing many different techniques of relocating equipment that often weighed numerous tons. Reinforcing rods placed for strengthening concrete substructures were also installed by skilled ironworkers. To go into the complete scope of work here would take a prodigious amount of resource from the Guide and as such will not be exhibited here.

Basic Tools

Ironworkers use many different specialized tools that have colorful and descriptive names. The basic tools of the structural ironworker are various spud wrenches, sleaver bar, bull pin, bolt bags, connecting bolt, tape measure, ratchet and socket, 4-8 pound beater (sledge hammer), torpedo level, tip cleaners, torch striker, crescent wrench. The "Rodbuster" ironworker carries his "kleins" (a type of plier), dikes (wirecutters), 6' stick rule, wire reel, scabbard, tape measure, tip cleaner, striker, and sometimes a bolt bag. The machinery mover ironworker carries an assortment of wrenches, clamps, various rulers and tape measures, various levels, various hammers and sledges, files, screwdrivers, and other assorted tools. Each type of ironworker has an assortment or all of the above mentioned tools at his disposal as well as others that are not mentioned here.

A Word On Unions

Many Ironworkers are members of the International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Ironworkers. This Union provides training programs (Apprenticeships) that vary in length from 3 to 5 years which is geared towards placing highly skilled workers at the disposal of construction contractors. Due to the intensive training of these apprentice Ironworkers the safety and quality of work has increased on a yearly basis. Unions have provided the ironworker with a power for bargaining with the contractors to ensure safe working conditions and fair wages for work performed. In return the Unions ensure contractors will receive well trained journeyman for the jobs that are needed. This is not to say that all ironworkers are Union members. There are many ironworkers that are not Union but they are generally lower paid and do not have the security that a Union can provide.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A806870

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more