Shopping for Your First Guitar

1 Conversation

For someone who has never played guitar before, trying to find a good one can be quite a daunting task. Perhaps the most important question to be asked at this point is: acoustic or electric? Despite what some say, neither one type is the definitive best choice for a beginner. Often times it is merely a question of styles: those playing rock, country, jazz and blues would be best off with an electric guitar; conversely, an acoustic guitar is more suited to folk, bluegrass, and classical.

An electric guitar is easier to physically play than an acoustic: the action1 on a typical electric guitar is normally lower than that of an acoustic guitar, making them easier to press down, and the body is much thinner. However, the electronics involved with an electric guitar can seem overwhelming to a first-time buyer: all of those knobs and switches make no sense, except perhaps the one marked 'volume'. Also, purchasing an electric guitar almost necessitates the purchase of an amplifier and a cord, making the whole process yet more complicated. Some stores and companies are now offering inexpensive electric guitars packaged with small amplifiers and all of the necessary accessories: picks, tuner, cord, strap, and sometimes instructional videotapes or books. These 'packs', while perhaps not always the best deal, are suited to beginners and easier for the first-time buyer than purchasing all of the elements separately.

Acoustic guitars are much simpler than electric guitars, since the only necessary part is the guitar itself: no cords, no amplifiers. However, because the strings on an acoustic guitar are further up from the fretboard than those on an electric and the string gauge is typically higher, fretting notes and playing chords is much harder for a beginner on an acoustic guitar. On the other hand, one definite advantage of acoustic guitars over electrics is the portability factor. Traveling with an acoustic guitar is no problem because there's nothing else you may need to bring along.

Some other tips:

  • Bring a friend who plays guitar when shopping. He or she will help you cut through the lingo and sales pitches and lead you to finding the right guitar for your style. Unlike a salesperson, your friend has your best interests - not his or her wallet - in mind and will not try to lead you to buy something that does not suit you just for the sake of getting something sold.

  • Pick it up (and, if you have an electric, plug it in) and play it. Even if you know nothing at all about guitars and all you can do is play open strings, you at least get to experience firsthandedly how the guitar feels and how it sounds. Consider factors like the width of the neck and the general weight of the guitar. It is also advisable, if you have brought your friend along, to have him or her play it and tell you whether it's a piece of junk that goes out of tune every two minutes.

1'Action' refers to the closeness of the strings to the fretboard on a guitar. Guitars with high action have strings that are further away from the fretboard; guitars with lower action have the strings closer to the fretboard and are easier to play.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A803035

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more