Arthwollipot's Cardinal Rules

0 Conversations


The Rules

This is a list of three rules by which I live my life. When reading and thinking about this list of rules, always keep in mind Rule 1. Elaborations follow.


RULE 1:


All rules have exceptions, including this one.


RULE 2:


There are always more rules.


RULE 3:


There is no such thing as an unintersting subject, only an uninterested person.


Elaboration


OK, so let's have a think about these three rules. I have always found Rule 1 to be accurate, and here's why:


Have a look at Rule 1. Think about it. Notice the self-reference. This is what makes Rule 1 applicable when discussing 'rules' of all kinds. What that last bit means is that even Rule 1 itself has exceptions. For example, in most civilised places there is a rule which states 'don't kill people'. This is an example of a rule without an exception. There is no justification for killing someone. However, if you live in, say, Texas, there is an exception to the rule, and that's capital punishment. I am not going to get involved in any discussion over whether capital punishment is civilised or not. That's not my purpose here.


Now Rule 2. There can never be any complete list of all the rules. There are always going to be more rules, even if some of those rules are exceptions according to Rule 1. So compiling a complete list of rules is pointless in the first case and impossible in the second.


Rule 3 may look out of place in this list, as it is the only rule which isn't a metarule. However, I have found it also to be true in all situations. Whatever dull and boring subject you can think of, there is someone in the world who finds that subject interesting. No subject is 'inherently' dull. No subject is dull in a vacuum. Saying that a subject is uninteresting is only a way of saying that you are not interested in that subject. It doesn't say anything about the subject itself, it only says something about you. It is this rule which guides my own diverse set of interests.


More Rules


There is also a Rule 4 and a Rule 5.


Rule 4 states "Do it now". This is the rule that I invoke whenever I have to do something that I don't want to. Do it immediately, and it's over with. You don't have to continually worry about not having done it. For example, the best time to wash a cooking pan is as soon as you've taken the food out of it. Run it under hot water and scrub it with a brush. You'll find that the gunk comes straight off - no detergent needed. If you wait for it to dry and get cold it's much harder to scrub that pan.


Rule 5 states "It's under something". If ever you can't find a thing, remember Rule 5, because as soon as you do you will find that thing you've lost, because it's under something.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A793514

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more