Geek Code

2 Conversations

Geek Code, aka. "Code of the Geeks." A series of letters and numbers used by geeks to define their personality, appearance and opinions. A sample "Geek code block" looks like this:

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GED/J d-- s:++>: a- C++(++++)$ ULUO++ P+>+++ L++ !E---- W+(---) N+++
o+ K+++ w+(---) O- M+$>++ V-- PS++(+++)>$ PE++(+)>$ Y++ PGP++ t- 5+++
X++ R+++>$ tv+ b+ DI+++ D+++ G+++++>$ e++$>++++ h r-- y+**
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

The Geek Code is defined at geekcode.com.

Format

The format is a parody of the output produced by the encryption program "PGP." Within the Geek Code Block there is a line specifying the version of Geek Code being used. The next line starts with the letter G (for Geek) followed by the Geek's occupation(s). In this case, the Geek is a Geek of Education and a Geek of Jurispudence (Law). A full list of types is available at geekcode.com.

Categories

The rest of the block is made of a series of letters. Although some categories have special syntax, generally each category is followed by a series of + or - signs showing how much the geek agrees or disagrees with the category. For example, t+++ indicates a geek who thinks this about Star Trek:

"I know all about warp field dynamics and the principles behind the transporter. I have memorized the TECH manual. I speak Klingon. I go to cons with Vulcan ears on."

On the other hand, someone who puts r--- in their block feels the following way about relationships:

I'm beginning to think that I'm a leper or something, the way people avoid me like the plague.

Modifiers

The meaning of each category can be changed in subtle or not-so-subtle ways using punctuation marks as modifiers.

  • @: An @ sign after a category means that the geek's feelings on this category are not very rigid and can change with time.
  • (): If a category has + or - signs in brackets, this means that the geek's feelings on this category can range from that which is stated outside the bracket to that which is stated inside the bracket.
  • <: A category with > in it means that the geek is currently in the state on the left of the arrow, but striving to achieve the state on the right of the arrow.
  • $: The geek is being paid for this.
  • ?: The geek doesn't know anything about this category.
  • !: Placed before the category, represents a refusal on the part of the geek to be categorised by this criterion.

Decoder

Of course the only real way to read or write Geek Code is by hand. Some mortals feel they have more important things in their life, like changing that r--- to a happier state, so Joe Reiss wrote an Ungeeker for us to use.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A781265

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more