Vignettes

0 Conversations

Vig. 1

"Hello, Mister Science Fiction." said I.
"Hello." said he.
'Lookkeehheer at my insole!" I removed it so he could view it properly.
"No dear; it appears to be quite holy." he said with a British accent.
"Indeed, it be!" I replied. However, because I was in the silly-type mood, I threw (gently!) my insole at him. He then proceeded to throw his insole (which he had removed to show me how superior it was to mine) at me. Indeed, this turned into a comical situation. However, just as the fun was commencing, it ended with the arrival of Habbas Eirelav. However, I was indeed still in that mood and so, I proceeded to chuck (again, gently!) my other holy (pun intended) insole at her.
"Ngahha!" I called. "Take that, you dastardly deed deeoo-er!"
When it was time to depart, I retrieved my shoes and insoles from near the bin-of-rubbish. Mr. Science Fiction was not quite as fortunate; he found his insoles inside the weely-bin.

Vig. 4

I'd like to tell you about two people. Their fake names are Seska Oxford and Zany Armour Zigzagzipper. Now, I mention these two because they are both (especially the latter) quite similar to me (not in appearance, but, rather, in mind). Now, I'll admit, we are quite different in many ways; completely and utterly opposite in some aspects. Yet, this only makes us more similar. Now, some people might think these two weird. But then, how do you classify "Weird"? I do not believe in that word. We all have our own little quirks. But, that is not being weird. So? I say: If you don't like them, don't associate with them. It's not that hard to do. But, they won't know what their missing. These are two people who have potential no matter what any one may say. I support them and their causes (at least, most of them, anyway.)


Vig. 5

Ah, the Beatles. I love them, as do many others. However, it was not always like this. I can still remember the days when I would not so openly sing them, in contrast to today when I virtually constantly am singing, humming or, at minimum, thinking of one of their songs. But, O!, things are different, and, not only do I just sing them out loud, I actually influence other people's taste in music; at bare minimum, three persons now like the Beatles more than when I first met them. Now, I'll admit, this could be pure co-incidence, or, it could be (yes, I do like to think this) that I have directly contributed to this sudden shift of paradigm. But, whether it is the former or the latter, I am very much so joyous to see (not to mention, hear) more people enjoying their fine work.


Vig. 6

A few weeks ago, I had the wonderful fortune to go to the first (luxury) car show. There, along with all of the beautiful cars was a Steinway exhibit. Now, it happened as such. As we entered the car show and were about to get started, I heard some one playing (or practicing) The Minute Walse. Now, first of all: I have great respect for any person who excels at some thing. Secondly, I like that piece. Thirdly, I've tried to play it and so I know it a bit more. It thus 'Hits closer to home'. So, I said: "I need to go over there and see how this person is playing that. So, we went over. Lo and behold, as we get there, and realize who is playing and that she's playing a Steinway, she stops. But, as I ogle, some how, she comes over and asks if I play. Naturally, I say, "No, not really.". My companion, as always, says: "Yes, he does. Go on, play some thing". I immediately refuse, he insists. It goes on like this for a while. Finally, when my companions go off a little ways, she (the pianist whose name I do not fully recall; it was something to the affect of Siaman) asks me to play. After she does this a few times, I give in and play a tiny excerpt from my first piece, Mozart's Rondo alla Turca. She then proceeds, for the next (approximately) 30 minutes to give me a little lesson. She also plays excerpts from my second piece, Chopin's Étude Opus 10 Number 12 Allegro con Fuoco in C Minor (?), better known as "The Revolutionary Study" and Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody Number 2. She also fully plays Chopin's Étude Op, 10 No. 9. After hearing these two Chopin pieces, having played them and knowing what it takes, I finally (after about 2-3 years) break down and decide to get a piano teacher. The following Monday, I get one and that Saturday, I have my first lesson.


Vig. 7

It is Saturday, one week after my paradigm shift. We are driving to McGill's Strathcona building. It is time for my first official pianoforte lesson. I find my teacher in the lobby, speaking to some one. When she finishes, and introduces every one, we start our laborious climb up three large flights of steps. We reach our floor. We walk on to the end of the hall. Finally, after un locking a door, we enter into her teacher's (she's getting a doctorate in pianoforte) studio. There, to my astonishment (God knows how these things were got there) I find two baby grand black Yamaha pianos just waiting to be played. And so, after taking out my stuff, it is time to play. She asks me to play a bit. I pick the piece that I really want to learn; Chopin's (he's my favourite composer) first Ballade. After playing this and getting some fed-back, she asks me to play something that I know well. I pick Chopin's Prélude Op. 28 No. 4 in G Sharp (?). I made a few mistakes ad after a while, when she believes that she knows enough my style of play, stops me. She then goes through some octaves. Then, she explains how to figure out in which key a musical piece is in. She then asks me to get two pieces; Bach's First (In C Major) and Eighth (in F Major) two-part inventions. She also asks me to try Chopin's Prélude Op. 28 No. 4 Lento (?) in some key (which I can already play (thought not quite properly)) and one of Chopin's Nocturnes Op. 9 No. 2. With that, the hour-long session is up and it is until next Saturday; two days from now.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A780176

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more